Chapter 6

Leaving Trafalgar house she tripped but caught herself before she spilled unladylike on the muddy road. She did not see Mr. Stringer behind her as he jogged to catch up.

"Miss Heywood!" his voice broke through her raw emotions.

Charlotte turned and tried to wipe the tears out of her eyes.

"I sure see more wet eyes from you than smiles anymore Miss..." he said offering her his handkerchief.

She nodded. "Everyone is so eager to talk of my heartbreak." her voice soft and strained.

His mouth drew itself into a tense line. "Let us walk along the shore. Maybe you could use a sympathetic ear," he said offering his arm.

Charlotte took it hesitantly. "Not the shore. Tom is there. Maybe you could show me the pavilion and how it is coming along?" she asked.

He nodded and turned her down the lane. "It has a new roof now, and we have just been trying to get the floors back in place. The entire job was near gutted, but thanks be my father's stonework survived," he said looking up at the imposing apartments.

She no longer looked on it in wonder but sadness. The black soot still darkened the doorways and exterior and would likely not be washed off till the very end. It had fallen apart like her own dreams and now it was being rebuilt but her heart remained unattended.

"Miss Heywood?" Mr. Stinger's voice penetrated her dark thoughts and she looked at him lost. "I know we both lost something that night..." he said softly. "But we can pull through. I will still go to London, just not yet. Once this is finished."

She smiled. "How are the attitudes of the men?" she asked about the workers.

He nodded. "Good. Mr. Sidney Parker has taken over all the financial aspects of the project and made it absolutely clear that no one is to loan his brother any money. He is here a lot to manage the work."

Charlotte smiled and nodded. "That is good. After all, Mr. Parker needs his brother to reign him in at times. His ambition is admirable though." she said looking back on the place.

"Building will slow during the winter," he said. "Might I call on you in London if I am there?"

She nodded. "Of Course," she replied. "I best go now. Thank you for the diversion and walk."

He smiled warmly to her. He could see her heartbreak and he wanted to bring a smile to her face. But he had been unable.

"Good evening Mr. Stringer." she bowed her head slightly.

"Miss." he inclined his own and watched her leave. He did so tire of seeing her walking from him.