Chapter 154

Edward found himself in the parlor frustrated that he had been called to the Babington's new apartments. Finer than what could be acquired. He was at the Crown Hotel on credit only for his name and the likelihood of inheriting.

Irritation and excited coursed thought his veins to get it over with. The deed done.

He was sure to bring his own solicitor with him to make certain that all proper actions were made. He also took great pains to make himself look less than without. He needed to be sure all buttons were strait and that his collar was stiff.

The time had come to put in his official claim since Lady Denham's solicitor had not shown in town and was uncommonly late. A knowing smile pulled at his mouth. He only awaited word that the deed was done. After the fire, he had seen his dear sisters face. She was crushed, and the only thing that could have caused that was the destruction of the personal copy of the will.

He glared at Mr. Sidney Parker and fleetingly noticed Mr. Tom Parker who had become less than important after his fall from society. His eyes held his traitorous sister's eyes. The burned in a furious glare.

But it was Sidney he would glance at. His anger was seen in the not so subtle clench of his jaw. As if he was ready for another brawl. How could the man count himself a gentleman the way he reduces himself to his fists.

Why did she fight so hard? They both knew Lady Denham would not leave it to her. Lord Babington was more than well off. Perhaps the woman had left it to their offspring. No matter. Both wills at this time should have been destroyed by licking flames just like the one he and Clara had burned.

Tom excused himself a moment and retreated to the back of the apartment causing Edward to fidget. Looking out at the setting sun he turned frustrated. "Are we going to get to the point of this uncomfortable audience or shall I start?"

Esther just looked up and glared.

"I have brought my personal lawyer, Mr. John Tolberg, and he will explain in the clearest of legal terms that the time has come for me to take possession of our dear aunts estate and all of its entailments." he started introducing the man beside him having reserved that surprise for now.

Sidney clenched his fists and smirked as the man stumbled to speak and produce documentation of the hereditary claim.

Lord Babington suddenly entered with Tom Parker flanked by Mr. Hale who carried Lady Denham's box and Esther smiled.

"Do go on, if you like dear brother, but I am afraid it will probably all be for naught," she said smugly from her seat and stood regally and walked to the window to stand with her husband.

Edward found his knees had gone weak. He suspected the stranger was the solicitor and the box he carried looked familiar and his stomach fell.

"What is it, dear brother?" Esther asked with mocked concern. "Suddenly feeling sick that your plan to kill him did not come to fruition?" she now accused in a sardonic tone

Edward swallowed nervously and shook his head. "I do not know what you mean. Who is this man?"

"Mr. Hale," Sidney said with a low and measured voice. "May I present Sir Edward Denham." with a distasteful clench he went on. "Sir Denham, Mr. Hale... Lady Denham's solicitor," he said with finality as Mr. Hale placed the large wooden box with a lock on the table noisily.

Before speaking he adjusted his spectacles. "I wish I could say it was a pleasure but I am sure you will understand when I say it is not."

Edward blinked as his hearing went foggy and the room spun a little. His plans were ruined and further they suspected him of arranging murder.