Chapter 128

Charlotte slept deeply trying to forget after eating her breakfast in her room. She was unready to face the reality of Lady Denham's death and she had almost imagined it was a horrible dream when she first awakened that morning all puffy-eyed and heavy-hearted as she slipped to the side of the bed. Her maid Bell came in with a soft knock.

"Oh still abed," she said coming to the table by the fireplace. "I see you haven't touched your food," she said lifting the lid on the tray. "Is anything the matter miss?" she asked worriedly.

Charlotte shook her head. "Never mind me. It has been a trying week," she said softly as she tried not to cry again.

Bell nodded. "It has been a strange week here Miss. So many gossiping below stairs."

Charlotte frowned.

"And it's not even nearly all about you or Mr. Parker Miss," she said going to the wardrobe. "Do you wish to dress or should I allow you to keep to your bed?"

Charlotte stretched and went to the window. The hour was late but with the sun covered and the rain falling again she stretched her aching body. The effects of the carriage rides of the week had left a lingering discomfort.

"What hour is it?" Charlotte asked.

Bell smiled. "Past noon and nearly to the calling hours. But it seems Lady Babington is trying to refuse callers today is what I heard."

"It is understandable. What, with the conclusion of a very rough three weeks, and all." she yawned. "Could I get a cup of coffee?"

"This late Miss? You will be up till the witching hour." she cautioned.

Charlotte shook her head. "No, I think I will actually tire very easily. I am sure there are things I must do."

"Well, will that be the red dress maybe miss? A bright pop of color?" she asked.

Charlotte shook her head. "Anything dark will do," she said simply. She was in mourning, though she did not have anything black she would wear something dark.

Bell pulled out a dark green cotton dress with a nice black-capped shoulder.

"It would go well with the silver or black sash you have," Bell said laying it out on the bed.

Charlotte nodded. "The silver." She said biting her nail as she looked out to the rainy park.

She did not chatter away as she suspected Bell wanted her to. She asked some questions about the journey to Scotland but she kept her answers short and soon Bell realized she did not wish to chat.

Feeling more awake she finished her cup of coffee just as Bell was adding the finishing touches to her hair. She had more time that afternoon to gaze at her tired reflection in the mirror. She had seen how she looked after such a journey but now all washed up she still could see the sorrow and fatigue in her countenance.
Tears sprung to her eyes.

"Oh, Miss!" Bell said with her high pitched voice. "Please let me fix it," she said going to unpin her hair.

"No it's not my hair," she whispered and covered her mouth. "Please, It's just been such a trying day."

Bell stopped and looked at her mistress in the mirror. "They say Lady Denham may be dead," she whispered. "Is it true?"

Charlotte looked at her maid and wiped her eyes. "Why would you think that?"

Bell turned and rounded to face Charlotte sideways. "Lord Babington fetches her food but it is never picked up again. The door is barred."

Charlotte shook her head. "Bell you cannot talk about it. Sanditon is in real peril."

Bell set her brush aside and nodded. "I will not tell, but most in the house are starting to guess. Some servants have already started to stash silver so they can run off with something of value. For Sir Edward Denham will see everyone to ruin."

Charlotte shook her head. "Do you know where this silver is stashed?" she asked.

Bell shook her head.

"Can you tell me the names of those who have already prepared to loot from Lady Denham's estate?" she asked.

Bell nodded. "I know where the things are hidden too," she whispered. "It's all hidden under a boulder in the parkland."

Charlotte Stood up and fetched her long coat. "Come, I must have you tell Lady Babington and we must do something soon with the servants."

Bell nodded and followed her out and fetched her own jacket which was much lighter and she covered herself with a shawl which offered neither of them much protection from the elements.

After lifting the flat rock which was not really a boulder she found a dugout hole that housed five sachels made of linen. Charlotte leaned over and opened it to find not just silver but some gold pieces too.

"They would have made off with enough to live comfortably for a very long time with all this." she looked back at Bell and shook her head. "Who is stealing?"

"Mrs. Bartell and Miss Brockinstile," she said in a whisper.

Charlotte frowned. "Mrs. Martell is the housekeeper," she bit her lip. "Trusted friend and employee of Lady Denham. How could she do this?"

Bell sighed. "Maybe she felt entitled to it?" she asked.

Charlotte shook her head. "Must have, for she was taking a very lot," she said picking it up.

Bell took two as Charlotte took the bigger load.

"We need to get this to Esther without them seeing," Charlotte said as they hefted the clanking metal. "It's a wonder she got all this out here since it makes so much noise."

Bell smiled. "Oh, they bring the pieces out one at a time. I caught her a number of days ago and have been keeping my eye on them since."

Charlotte shook her head. "You must have learned a lot from Lady Susan." she laughed.

Bell smiled and waddled after her awkwardly with a smile on her face since she found the statement a huge compliment. "She tells me to watch everyone so I do."

Charlotte frowned. "Did you know Captain Warrick and Mrs. Campion were carrying on?"

Bell blushed and shook her head. "Well I knew he was a seductive devil, but I did not think she would fall for it. Mr. Parker is, after all, a wonderful catch already."

Charlotte blushed and was glad she was walking ahead.

"He is free now," she said optimistically.

Charlotte bit her lip and looked away with a shy smile on the corner of her mouth.

Bell tripped behind her and cried out as she fell face forward in such a clatter.

"Are you alright?" Charlotte said turning and putting the bundles down.

Bell shook her head. "I tripped over a stick or something."

Charlotte looked and frowned. "What is a ladder doing out here?" she asked.

Bell turned and tried to stand while brushing the mud off.

"Looks like the stable loft ladder." she helped Charlotte brush aside the brambles that concealed it.

Charlotte helped her maid to rights and then picked up the bundles again.

"I will tell the stable master where he can find this later," she said seriously and tried to link her arm into the maid to help her to walk.

"I'm fine Miss. I am a sturdy girl," she said as they made their way out of the park.