Chapter 58

"Has there been any news from Mr. Sidney Parker?" came the weak, and feeble voice of Lady Denham.

Charlotte shook her head. "Not for some time Ma'am." she smiled and patted her hand. "Rest, I know that conversation with your solicitor tired you."

Lady Denham nodded. "Yes, and that puffed up tomcat Captain Warrick is exhausting," she said as Charlotte fluffed up the woman's pillow. "Miss Heywood, tell me you have nothing but a harmless flirtation with him?"

Charlotte giggled slightly. "I have no interest in anything but friendship with that man. His connection to Lady Worcester is close and I would never wish to cause her any pain but a connection with him is not-"

Lady Denham smiled and laughed. "Good, good." she sighed. "Still you went all the way to London and you did not come back a married woman," she observed through her intelligent eyes. "I have heard there was interest and gossip that one of the young plucky Lords would snap you up, but you refused them all."

Charlotte grew a little tense and sat back in the chair beside the woman.

"Why did you refuse?" she asked.

Charlotte smiled. "I would much prefer to marry for love, not connection or money."

"Still every the idealist." she coughed and reached for the wine to help her swallow. "No matter, if you had married I could not have prevailed upon your kindness," she said dismissively.

Smiling sadly she went to her book. "Would you like me to read?" she asked.

Waving her off she shook her head. "No, no...tell me have all the invitations gone out yet?" she asked.

Charlotte shook her head. "No, but they will go out in the post tomorrow morning."

Nodding satisfied Lady Denham looked around. "Waterloo Terrace, is it in a fit condition to house guests?"

Frowning Charlotte looked at the woman. "Mr. Stringer is making sure all is done early so that furnishings that have been commissioned will be able to be brought in perhaps at the end of the week."

Lady Denham groaned. "To think we are furnishing these apartments ...it is exceedingly expensive."

"Would you prefer the guests to all sleep here?" Charlotte asked.

Shaking her head Lady Denham sighed. "No indeed. It is bothersome enough to imagine how many will be staying here if they decide to come. I will have to endure. Perhaps it won't bother me so much since of late I have been forced to cloister myself in this infernal tomb."

Charlotte shook her head. "I could take you out in that wheelchair you have recently received."

Lady Denham rolled her eyes. "And what have the neighbors gawk at the old woman too sick to walk anymore. I think not." she shook her head. "It is vastly uncomfortable."

Charlotte shook her head and laughed. "Lady Denham you can walk. Once the summer weather hits you will be right as rain." she corrected the moody woman.

"I just need more milk from my asses..." she muttered. "Have a tumbler of seawater brought for me to drink." she directed her.

"Lady Denham, Dr. Fuchs advised not to drink so much seawater," she said.

Lady Denham waved her off. "What does he know? He is just one of those snake oil salesmen trying to sell his own curatives. The man should be tarred and feathered."

Charlotte suppressed a laugh.

"Go, girl, have them brought, then I will take a short nap. Be sure my fire is roaring. I want to rest before I have an occasion to face Mr. Tom Parker." she said settling herself.

Charlotte looked down. They had been given word that Tom and Mary had returned with their children just the day before and good manners would mean that they would visit within a short span.

"I will take a walk in the park this morning," Charlotte said as she tucked the woman in.

Lady Denham grunted. "Be sure to cover your ears. The wind fair howels today. I don't need you to sicken when I need you most."

Charlotte nodded. "I will dress warmly," she said. "Perhaps I will go in town for you and check on the furnishings?" she asked.

Lady Denham waved her off. "Do as you please. I won't need you again till after tea."

Charlotte nodded and went to the desk beside the bed that she had moved there for ease. She organized the small pile and took out the last letter from Sidney and looked at it. It had been two weeks ago and he said he was expecting to come and help begin the preparations for the season but she didn't know when to expect him.

She herself had sent out letters of inquiry to the social circle she had been exposed to with Lady Worcester as to plans for the summer and she had only heard back from a few. With the promise of fine rooms as bait Charlotte hoped many of the Beau Monde would come to the call but she worried they would not.

Fear coiled in her stomach that the venture would be an even bigger failure than it had been before.

Outside she walked along the path and thought of the business of the day. It was far more exciting to be there in Sanditon than London. In London, the excitement was the people, but here it was everything. The industry, the cooperation, the noise was even soothing and she felt more at home with Lady Denham than she had with Lady Susan. As much as she loved Susan it was hard to remember her place in Susan's world. Here she was just a mere companion to Lady Denham. An unpaid servant who happened to dress well and keep her own maid, but for the most part she did not feel above her station here and that was of comfort to her.

Lady Denham had been most kind, but it helped to know she was of use to someone besides a source of entertainment.

In the end, Lady Denham was in need and better for her than Clara Brereton.