Chapter 65

The next morning Charlotte was awakened at the early time of the first crow to Bell her maid.

"Come, Miss Heywood, Lady Denham calls for you," she said opening the shutters which steamed in faint light for the sun was just beginning to rise.

Charlotte dressed with Bell's help but let her hair stay down in messy waves for she did not have the time. She grabbed a cream shawl to pair with a lovely deep burgundy color dress.

She hurried to Lady Denham because often if she was called early it was for work or something more urgent.

She found as she rounded a corner that she ran into a solid form which proceeded to hold her.

Looking up startled she found the face of Sidney. Her mouth went dry and she stood dumbfounded.

"Mr. Parker," she whispered.

He held her and closed his eyes as he stepped from her a fraction of a moment later. "Apologies." He shook his head. "I was startled and when I realized it was you I forgot myself for a moment." He breathed deep as if bothered.

She nodded and pulled back further from him nervous to have been seen in what could be misunderstood as an embrace.

Sidney ran his hand through his hair nervously. He had not taken care to shave or tend to the normal dressing necessities and was sure to be looking rough. He had just been on his way to his cove to work off his frustrations of the night before and bath in the bracing sea.

"What are you doing out of bed at this hour?" he asked concerned. "Are you well?" he said taking in the fact that her hair was down and looking touseled. He could not tell her what images it evoked in his mind or how hard he would have to swim to exert enough energy to drain him of it or endure the ice-cold of early march sea to freeze the heat that threatened to consume him.

She blushed and looked down the hall nervous a servant had seen. "I am well. It's just Lady Denham who calls me from my bed at this hour," she said quietly.

He smiled. "Then I am glad of it."

She smiled and looked away. "Lady Denham waits for me," she said.

He nodded. "I am having tea with Georgiana this afternoon. I know she will want to see you." he fished for interest.

Charlotte sighed and nodded. "I intended on going into Sanditon today to call on friends." she cleared her voice, "But that does depend on Lady Denham and her needs for my company, of course," she said seriously.

He nodded. "I understand." he stepped aside his eyes heavy with the lack of sleep he must have had.

Charlotte wanted to reach up and smooth the rough coarse cheek as she passed him slowly but instead, it was their gazes that caressed as she went.

"Enjoy your swim," she whispered. "It's dreadfully cold, be careful," she warned.

He nodded. "It always is." he smiled. "I have the fire burning in my room so that when I return I will not catch my death."

Smiling she turned nervously and left him as she again tried to hurry to Lady Denham.

Sidney stood rooted to the spot as he watched her leave. A sentimental smile pulled at his cheek and he looked down recalling sadly his position and hers.

Opening the wide door Charlotte went to Lady Denham who sat on the edge of her bed.

"What took you so long. I feel that I must have been kept waiting a full half an hour." she chided Charlotte.

"Apologies Lady Denham, I was up late with my mind turning about all the things still needing to be done. I am afraid I slept poorly and I was slow to awaken," Charlotte explained as she curtsied.

The woman appraised her seriously. "There is still much to be done. No matter, how was the rest of the evening?" she asked. "Did our guests enjoy themselves?"

Charlotte smiled. "I think they did Ma'am. But I have yet to know how they fair after sleeping through the night."

The woman coughed and drank a concoction her personal ladies maid handed her.

"Go to the desk Miss Heywood and see that letter on top of the leather-bound file," she said pressing her handkerchief to her mouth. "Please send that today so that the solicitor can pick it up."

Charlotte nodded and took the small letter and held it. "Any other things you wish to go into the post-Ma'am?" she asked.

Lady Denham nodded. "I need you to write as I dictate. I already tried but I fear I just don't have the head for it myself," she said as a small tray was placed next to her with her breakfast.

"Anything for you, Miss?" The maid asked Charlotte.

She smiled. "I would enjoy a coffee," she suggested.

Lady Denham laughed. "A coffee, it is a man's drink my dear girl." Lady Denham said drinking down a tonic

Charlotte nodded. "Lady Worcester nurtured the preference I am afraid. I even ordered some the other day when I was in town and showed the cook how to brew it."

Frowning Lady Denham smiled. "If Lady Worcester drinks it then it must be terribly fashionable, which usually means I won't like it," she muttered as Charlotte readied her quill to order necessities for the house. Lady Denham seemed to be worried their party would run out of anything for Charlotte had to make notes on what to ask the housekeeper or the servants below on what would be needed most.

After the woman was finished dictating the letters and inquires she relaxed and stared at Charlotte as she cleaned up the writing effects. "Tell me, Miss Heywood, honestly, once and for all... What is between you and Mr. Sidney Parker?" she said suddenly and charlotte blushed a crimson the same color as her dress.

"I will broker no lies girl, tell me the truth for your future here may very well depend on it." Lady Denham asked with a heaviness that frightened Charlotte for a moment.

"There was much," she whispered and looked down ashamed. "But there was no scandal and there is nothing now."

Lady Denham sat up and groaned while she laughed. "Nothing now." she rolled her eyes. "Last summer did he treat lead you on?" she pressed.

Charlotte shook her head. "No.," she said looking to the fire and not wishing to face Lady Denham's judgment.

"Was he going to offer marriage, or was he just toying with you?" she asked leaning forward.

Charlotte sighed and looked to her. "He was going to offer marriage, at the Ball but the proposal was interrupted."

Lady Denham looked down sadly. "Interrupted by my nephew I suppose." she pressed her fingers to her head fatigued. "And then the fire broke out and Mr. Tom Parker's idiocy was exposed and the entire family ruined including Mr. Sidney Parker." Lady Denham looked up sadly. "Well it is well that one member of the family shows some sense even if all the rest have none." she looked up. "Brighten up ducky," she said to her. "It does him credit that he is no fool for I would have ruined them all if he had not found financing from Mrs. Campion. But for you and I suppose him as well I am sorry. Mrs. Campion has little besides money and looks to her credit...Looks which fade fast at her age. Quite self-important, but I suppose with the fortune she comes with it is warranted."

Charlotte shrugged. "I am contented. I have such fortune in the society that I have found that I cannot be sad," she said turning to Lady Denham.

The woman smiled sweetly and laid back. "It does you credit. You are a fine sensible girl," she said as Charlotte came over and took her small tray away and placed it on a side table and helped the woman back into bed.

"I woke with such energy but now I am very tired indeed," she whispered.

Charlotte shushed her. "It is alright, most of the house is probably still abed. Come join us when you have the energy," she said smoothing the woman's hair. "I could even sit and read for you if you like later." she offered.

Lady Denham shook her head. "No, I know the business you have today. I shall rely on the servants. Go now and try to enjoy yourself."

Charlotte smiled and left her to return back to her room.

Once there she sent for a second cup of coffee to fortify her nerves. Breaking her fast would be trying enough.