Chapter 112

"Esther." Lady Denham said weakly as she searched the room with her eyes.

From the window, she turned. "I am here, aunt," she said.

"What is the ruckus." the old woman croaked.

Esther sighed. "It is Mrs. Campion leaving."

"Really? Before her Mr. Parker returns?" she labored in question. Though her energy weakened she was still full of questions irritatingly left unanswered. "What is it you are keeping me from?" she pressed the subject.

Esther came near to the large bed and anxiously moved the chair close. The grinding of the legs echoed in the room.

"Aunt, I do not wish to distress you," she whispered.

The woman shook her head. "of course, no one does. No one is telling me anything anymore it would seem." Lady Denham coughed. "So it must be most terrible," she concluded.

Esther looked at her warily and her expression pained.

"Oh just tell me and get it over with."

With an anxious sigh, Esther sat up. "Mrs. Campion has just left with Captain Warrick. They announced that they were engaged and he had a special license to wed. They are on the journey to London now."

"Oh is that all?" Lady Denham laughed till she coughed and frustratedly grunted. "Oh I wonder what they will all do." she wanted to sit up for the news was interesting.

"But Mrs. Campion's fortune!" Esther protested.

Lady Denham laughed. "What do we need her fortune for anymore? It was just there for assurance."

"But it is half spent I am sure." The younger said confused.

Lady Denham smiled brightly though it was weak on her face. "Well, it will take time to make their way back here from London with financial demands I dare say... It there anything else? Has any news come from anyone else?"

Esther shook her head. "Nothing from Charlotte since that hasty note about following her friend."

"Yes, and Mr. Parker hot in pursuit." she laughed. "What will he do with his newfound freedom when he learns of it?" she grunts as her voice weakened.

Esther shook his head. "But is he free? Sanditon is just on the verge of success but it could all fall apart without the capital."

The old woman nodded. "Yes, but rise or fall this is just about my end my dear. I have a box over there." she pointed to the desk. "It is full of letters, but cannot be opened without a key. My solicitor in London should have it. I could not venture a repeat of past events."

Esther assumed the will was in the box and she felt a strange pull to it but fought the curiosity.

Esther's nose was bright pink from crying.

"Do you think many will mourn me when I am gone, dear Esther?" Lady Denham asked bringing the woman's attention back to her.

Tears welled in the younger's eyes at the prospect.

"Oh aunt," she said pressing the woman's wrinkled hand to her face. "I am so sorry."

The woman laughed. "Oh hush now." she dismissed the theatrics. "It has brought me great satisfaction to have had a guiding hand in your happiness with Lord Babington. To bring commerce and progress to Sanditon viewed comfortably from my carriage was the crowning achievement of my life." She laughed. "No... marrying a rich man was not the crowning achievement... It was outliving him." she still laughed heartily and was happy she was not coughing at the time. "And my final act is yet to come but I will not be standing at the end for applause I suppose. But it shall pave the way for all."

Esther could not help it her aunt's words held a foreboding finality and a chill went up her spine.

"No aunt. You mustn't say such things." Esther said trying to cooly compose herself. Her back was now straight and stiff, and her mouth was pursed tightly like a child refusing to eat.

"I am dying, I have a right to say whatever I please." Lady Denham now labored in breath from her energetic laughter.

Esther shook her head. "You simply cannot die. There is a ball coming up, and Charlotte has not yet returned. I am sure you wish to see her."

Lady Denham smiled. "Ah yes....Miss Heywood has been greatly missed, but suddenly I am not so afraid for her future. Her life will be vastly easier when I shuffle off this mortal coil, finally. But letting go is hard." she said quietly. "You get quite accustomed to living, don't you? That when it is time it is so hard to just....let.... go," she said with weakening voice. "But I am... quite decided," she said with fatigue.

Esther leaned forward and shook her head. "No aunt. Did you not hear, there is a ball. You must rally."

Lady Denham tried to laugh but her grey form just shook with suppressed coughing laughter had induced. "Just don't tell anyone for a while after I have gone if it comes to pass sooner rather than later. The vultures will start circling," she said finally with a gasp.

Esther shook her head. "They already are. Edward has come."

Lady Denham rolled her eyes back in her head. "That disappointment persists to be it would seem." she smiled. "I have heard that Denham Place has been acquired by you and your husband. I can think of no one more worthy of the place. and the fact that Edward would divest himself of the lands that are his by birthright shows how far the Denham title has fallen."

"Lord Babington has told you?" Esther asked.

Lady Denham nodded. "It will cost you to refurbish and bring it back from the ruin it has become, but I do believe your stepfather would have approved of the change in ownership had he known his own son. You will change the name I suppose?"

Esther shook her head. "No, I see no need."

Lady Denham laughed again and coughed. "My medicine." she pointed to the table. "A stiff dose please," she whispered. "I do believe it is time for me to rest."

Esther wiped her eyes and nodded and helped her to drink the heavy opium-based concoction. "Of course. I should hear something very soon, I will come to you straight away, I promise." Esther said as she drunk it all down.

Lady Denham reached for her hand after the glass had been placed to the side. "Bless you Esther and the woman you have become."

Esther looked at her aunt. Her wide eyes betraying her fear that this was more than just a mere blessing but perhaps it was goodbye.

"And you aunt for the woman you always have been." she leaned down and kissed her hand.

"Warts and all?" Lady Denham asked teasingly.

Esther nodded. "But aunt, you never had warts, just a cold demeanor that upon reflection was much warmer than originally thought." she wiped a tear and helped her into the bed in a more comfortable manner.

Lady Denham smiled. "You too." her eyes closed and Esther ran her hand along the woman's side comfortingly. The woman's breath slowed and was peaceful as she slept and that was when she crept from the room and posted a maid at her side.

"Don't leave her alone even for a moment. Call for a doctor if anything is amiss then call for me," she whispered. The girl nodded and went inside and took her seat and watched.

Closing the door Esther took a heavy sigh. So much was happening and it all felt overwhelming. She could not wait to collapse in bed with her Lord Babington's arms about her.