Chapter 140

Charlotte had to lean on the side of the carriage the entire way to alleviate the pain and she was filled with relief when hours later they pulled up to the familiar stone wall.

"Charlotte's home!" the children yelled and surrounded the base of the carriage.

Her mother's figure filled the brightly lit door frame and she felt her stomach drop. Once a welcoming and familiar sight looked foreboding and her nerves made her hands shake as she hugged the brothers and sisters she had missed. Her hands on both sides of her hip making her look exasperated.

"Momma," she said coming to the door. Her mother's face softened and she pulled her in for a hug.

"My dear, I am glad you are home," she whispered. "Come inside, there is food warming for you."

After a few moments to herself to change and wash from the journey, she was down at the familiar dining table but now it was not surrounded by her many brothers and sisters. No, it stood empty with the children periodically poking their heads in and whispering behind the doors.

"Was the journey uneventful?" her mother asked with an awkward sigh after her father had a chance to eat.

"Quite," he said as he sighed and sat back. "My dear," he said softly. "Please fetch me the letter," he said to her momma.

Charlotte frowned and put her fork down. She had hardly touched her food anyway. Watching her father take the envelope she looked at it curiously.

"I received this urgent letter yesterday afternoon after a month of silence from you," he said opening it. "Seems you have not been honest with us about the company you keep."

Charlotte shook her head. "I have no notion-"

He cleared his throat. "So then...Lady Susan Worcester is not the mistress of the Prince Regent?"

She shook her head. "Well, not- where did you hear that?" she asked in protest.

His brows rose. "So it is true?" sighing heavily. "God knows what life she was grooming you for," he whispered and looked at the paper again. And her cousin, Captain Warrick a known womanizer and rake." he put on his spectacles. "Where in your letters you spoke of him in the highest regard. It says here that it was rumored you two were lovers but that it is unknown the validity of those rumors, but rumors there still were." his voice shook. "But it does not stop there, but says that you were seen by the author of this letter in the arms sharing intimacies saved for husband and wife but that was with none other than Mr. Sidney Parker who we knew to be engaged. It also says here that it is known among those of Sanditon that you and he ran off to Scotland together with your friend...that heiress..." he put the letter down frustrated. "What say you about all that?"

Charlotte sat dumbfounded and tried to open her mouth to speak. The only person that could have seen them kiss was likely Sir Edward. The very man causing all the trouble in Sanditon when everyone should be mourning the loss of a most beloved benefactor.

Taking a bracing breath Charlotte looked up. "The author of the letter I assume is Sir Edward Denham." she shook her head. "Honestly father I know you to be a well-educated man. A logical man. Indeed this is what I have looked up the most about you." she stood calmly. "But...you did not even tell me why we were leaving when I wanted to be with my friends to bury a most important person to me. To have a chance to say a final goodbye." she huffed. "If I were to ride all night I would now not even make it back in time for Lady Denham's funeral."

Her mother looked stricken by the sudden news. "Oh my dear, she has died?"

Charlotte looked to her mother and nodded. "Yes, and I was not with her then either for I was on the way back from Scotland when it happened." she closed her eyes trying to reign in her own frustration. "I have had a very trying month," she confessed to them as her shoulders drooped.