Chapter 3

Fingers deep in the dirt Charlotte worked out her vexation with the world on the cabbage roots. With a dramatic heavy sigh, she thought of the months that had passed since returning home to Willingden which she had found most disagreeably dull which being her home frustrated her all the more.

Her parents had suggested she return to Sanditon after all the letters from numerous Parkers begging her to return. Her mother had made a great show reading them aloud at the breakfast tables every few mornings with pride. This vexed Charlotte severely and she feared that her mood and personality were turning bitter by the day. She could hardly eat and took either to walk in a stomping deliberate manner or just laid abed as much as possible. Her family had begun to worry that something had happened but the tone of the letters never implied scandal. But Charlotte emphatically refused to return but did cite that she terribly missed the children and Mary but that her siblings needed her.

"My dearest!" her mother called to her from the back doorway. "You have a letter!" she shouted for fear that the wind blew her words away.

Standing up shakily Charlotte went to the fence and met her mother. "We don't know of a Lady Worcester..." her mother scoffed. "I don't think I ever met any lady in my life." she flipped the little square in her hand obviously flummoxed. "And look at that hand script...so fine," she said as she held it in her hand.

"That's Susan Momma." Charlotte huffed and tried to smile. "Please momma." she took the paper and opened it.

Her mother tried to take the envelope back but she just shrugged her off.

My dearest young friend, 

I cannot conceal my utter disappointment in my arrival at Sanditon the night before last.

I had hoped to surprise you, but behold you surprised me, my dear. I was called on by your friends Mr, and Mrs. Parkers and was bemused by their explanation that you quit Sanditon months ago. 

But I thought you adored the place, and the people, one especially.

I came here to comfort you and perhaps bring you entertaining diversion but I find that perhaps you were utterly heartbroken at the news of the deplorable engagement of your Mr. Parker and one Mrs, C, who I am sure we both agree to dislike.

As you can imagine I am sorely cross with the situation, but as I am of a creative thinking sort I have a solution to yours and my own problems I think.

I have realized in the last months since we talked that I crave a companion right now of your sort, and I believe I can help mend your heart by bringing you back to society as my very special friend. There are so many people I have talked to about your wit, and sweet nature. They are begging me to bring you to London for the season then on to Brighton with my special friend who I am particularly eager to unite with. 

If your family can spare you, I know I cannot.

Please dearest, join me post-haste and I will send a handsome carriage for your special comfort and we shall journey back to London together. 

Please send a reply quickly for without your cherished company Sanditon just feels soggy. 
Yours dearest friend, 

Lady Susan Worcester 

Charlotte's mother who was itching with curiosity tried to snatch the paper from her but Charlotte did not wish her family to know of her heartbreak. She had kept herself clean of the scandal where Mr. Sidney Parker was concerned and she was glad for it and no one at home knew of the near engagement.

"She has invited me to London for the season as her special companion," she said excitedly but with a dash of hesitation. She had only just got out of the frying pan of high society.

Her mother shocked squealed. "Oh, my dear! But you have a few very fine dresses. I suppose that your father will agree. After all, it is a distinguished lady is she not?"

Charlotte shook her head. "I should not go Mother." she shook her head. "I just don't belong in London."

Her mother shook her head. "This place is too small for you my dearest child. You have always been destined for bigger things. Your father never wanted that, however...but if he didn't he should not have insisted on educating you so well." She shrugged. "But you were always an inquisitive child. This is not the place for you my dear."

Charlotte sighed and nodded as she took her gleeful mother's arm as she laughed excitedly.