Chapter 160

Time stood still the couple as their moment had finally come to pass. The hopes, and grief abated into reality and truth shined in through the colored glass as he pulled her against him and breathed in deeply finally an unencumbered breath for the first time in a year.

Charlotte let him lead her through as they spoke of the home they wished to build and he felt his heart soar among the clouds that she would even imagine it with him.

Once outside they found themselves on yet another walk now far from Sanditon.

"You seemed troubled earlier." Charlotte mused as their fingers loosely held the others as they walked the path along the cliffs.

Sidney looked down and then away. Talking of his fears was never his best subject.

Scratching at the side of his face nervously he smiled. "Is it any wonder?"

Charlotte looked at him earnestly begging for an explanation.

Sighing heavily he looked out on the view before him and struggled to find the words. His face openly brooding.

"You are an heiress now. You once said you had not come to Sanditon for a husband," he said.

She smiled and laughed. "I do believe Lady Denham said I had come to Sanditon to find a 'rich' husband, and I emphatically told her no." she laughed and it filled him with lighter thoughts.

Sidney laughed too letting off a little of the anxiety of honesty ebb from him. "So then you admit you did come to Sanditon to find a husband?" he questioned.

Shaking her head she shrugged. "I came to Sanditon for adventure. I was open to whatever I found. Be it friend, excitement, love..." she ventured, her voice suddenly low. "I never imagined fortune or overly advantageous marriage. I am but a poor gentleman farmer's daughter after all," she said without malice but Sidney reacted. It held similar meaning to what she replied to Eliza at the regatta when she had been so hurt by the woman's unreasonably cutting remarks.

Hesitating Sidney turned still nervous around her. "And love, did you find that?"

She blushed and looked up to him boldly. "Abundantly."

Clinging to each other they sealed their love in words their foreheads pressed tenderly against the other.

"Let us walk to Sanditon House," Charlotte said pulling away as they resumed their stroll.

He nodded. "Of Course. You would want to see your new home."

She nodded. "But it is not my home yet," she whispered placing her hand back in his. "It may one day be our home."

He smiled and nodded at her use of the word 'our'. "Would you prefer living there to my humble unfinished apartment?"

"Heavens no, I must have time to grow accustomed to all the changes. Being the lady of such a grand house frightens me. A comfortable apartment in Sanditon is more to my taste at this moment." She squinted as she looked ahead of them.

He smiled brightly at her flashing her his white teeth and she smiled back.

As they strolled she pondered about the empty house. Seemed such a waste she mused. "Though a house like that should not be left vacant, do you not agree?"

He nodded. "We could let it out from time to time until we are ready," he suggested using the word we and marveling it was to be a common word he would now use between them. "I am sure fashionably rich of London would jump at an opportunity to enjoy a season or two in the opulent House by the sea now that it has gained its reputation throughout London."

Charlotte nodded but frowned as if it did not quite fit the ticket for her.

He recalled a similar expression when they had been playing with his nieces and nephews by the river. "What is it?" he asked.

Looking sidelong she shook her head. "It's nothing."

He scoffed. "I doubt it." he smiled. "Come on, out with it."

"Perhaps a school? For girls?" she relented and rolled her eyes thinking it idealistic and likely foolish.

He smiled as he thought on her idea for a moment. "A finishing school perhaps?" he asked.

Charlotte squinted seeing it in the distance through the tree-lined park. "Well yes, but perhaps more than that." in her mind the girls would learn Science and Philosophy among many other crafts of the mind.

Sidney turned and his eyes smiled as he saw the thoughts and plans she had just barely begun.

"I am sure you could now afford to employ only the best instructors," he offered. "Which would attract some of the highest in the Beau Monde to send their girls to such a house which would thereby attract the gentlemen." he sighed. "And the entertainments would be boundless..." he muttered thoughtfully.

He stopped in his tracks and looked upon her with admiration. "Upon my word Charlotte, you have managed to conceive of an idea that would keep Sanditon fashionable in perpetuity. No matter the whims of the aristocracy."

She blushed as he went to her and kissed her again most ardently with the need of a man. "I am a very lucky man," he whispered.

Smiling through happy tears she nodded.

"When may we have the Banns read?" he said pressing his face against her holding himself firmly in check.

She blinked and shook her head. "Perhaps after you have spoken to my father."

He pulled away. "Should I go now?" he asked her.

Laughing she shook her head. "There will be no need. They come presently... though they may come all the faster if they learn of this revelation of Lad Denham's will."

Sidney frowned suddenly fearful. "And if Mr. Heywood does not approve?"

She shook her head. "I am my own woman. And I do not believe he will completely disapprove, and if he does eventually he will come around."

He smiled. "That is good because I do not wish to wait too long." he blushed and his face darkened seriously. "Unless you wish a longer engagement."

Laughing she put her hand to his cheek. "It would not be wise to wait," she whispered and he could feel her dress brushing against his trouser.

He felt his mouth go dry, a thirst grew and he shook his head. "No, It would not." he felt like a man who had walked through the desert and had touched the water but must wait to have a proper drink.