Chapter 38

Charlotte sat in the parlor of Pessham Place with Lord Feathersly on her shoulder. He snuggled into her neck and she periodically turned to kiss his lovely beak.

Thinking of Georgiana she sighed. Worried she thought of how she had wept tears of joy at the news of Mr. Otis Molyneux return to London. He had asked her not to share his presence. Did he mean it? Had he moved on?

Lady Worcester sauntered in. "You have been in a pensive mood all afternoon." she was wearing a heavy velvet dress of burgundy with a white underdress. She looked regal as always.

"Did you enjoy your chilly walk?" Susan asked.

Sitting up with Lord Feathersly on her hand as he flapped his wings she nodded. "I thought it too cold. I had to sit next to the fire this past hour but seeing London from the top of the monument was a sight to behold. I am glad I was able to do it on such a clear afternoon. Not a snowflake in sight."

Susan looked out the window. "Is that Mrs. Campion here to call so late?" she said from the window. Charlotte stood and rushed to look.

"What could she want?" she said as fear blasted a hole through her stomach and she wanted to run and hide somewhere.

Susan looked her over. "Perfect, you look absolutely exquisite." she pulled a delicate curl down on her neck. "The color in your cheeks makes you look radiant."

"Mrs. Campion to see Miss Heywood," her butler announced.

"Of course, show her in." Lady Suzan said softly.

Mrs. Campion entered the stylish room and she found Miss Heywood and Lady Susan.

"I apologize for the hour," she said feeling a little nervous.

Lady Susan shook her head. "No matter, would you like to join us for dinner?" she offered hospitably.

Mrs. Campion smiled at the kind gesture. "Oh, I don't wish to intrude."
Lady Susan looked to Charlotte who looked like she would object but Susan just smiled. "It will just be Miss Heywood, my cousin and myself.
Please, it would even out the small dinner party."

Mrs. Campion smiled lightly and nodded. "I would like that."

"Can I offer you a warm cup of tea?" Lady Susan asked.

Mrs. Campion looked at Miss Heywood. "No. Thank you, of course."

Lady Susan looked at the two women and frowned. "So, what did you come for Mrs. Campion?" Lady Susan asked politely.

Miss Campion looked sheepish and she fiddled with her glove. "I uh, I came to apologize for the regard I have shown you at the Regatta, and later..." she sighed. "I should not have been so uncharitable and I know that now. Please allow me to beg a most humble pardon," she said with a heavy sigh.

Charlotte looked at the woman shocked and shook her head. "I neither accept nor do I deserve such apologies, Mrs. Campion. Your dislike of me has been for good enough reason on account of how Mr. Parker has acted. Indeed he has acted in ways he should not and for that, he should be the one to make reparation with you."

Mrs. Campion frowned surprised.

"Please allow me to say I do not bear you ill will," Charlotte said sincerely.
The front door opened breaking the tense silence that had followed and Lord Feathersly flew past Mrs. Campion frightening her.

"Oh it is just Lord Feathersly Mrs. Campion, do not be frightened." Lady Susan said as she watched her beloved bird fly to his perch.

"Aiden, Aiden, Hello." the bird called.