Chapter 95

Georgiana went to Charlotte after the conclusion of the play.

"I must speak with you," Georgiana said abruptly. Lady Denham looked taken aback by the interruption.

"So hasty, it must be important for you to interrupt in such a way, Miss Lambe." Lady Denham said in keen interest now.

Georgiana smiled and shook her head. "Apologies, it is a private matter."

The older woman frowned and reluctantly nodded as she rolled her eyes. "I suppose, you young ladies will always have your secrets," she said coldly as she turned to the other guests. Her fatigue was apparent but she was doing her best to rally.

Charlotte followed her friend to the corner of the room. "Charlotte, you have been my dearest friend here. Perhaps my dearest friend ever," she whispered.

Charlotte took her hand. "Georgiana, why are you trembling so?" she asked.

She smiled to reassure her. "You remember the cliffs?" she asked.

Charlotte nodded. "Yes, you were very sad."

Georgiana nodded. "I have been sad for a very long time. I almost had forgotten what it was to laugh. Then you found me... Saw me..." she said a tear coming to her eye. "Charlotte I was about to jump," she confessed and Charlotte looked shocked and squeezed her hand.

"Georgiana," she started.

"A lot may change soon, and I don't know how if it will go as planned," she whispered and looked about afraid that they would be overheard. "But you must know how much I owe you. I owe you my life and my future," she said seriously.

Charlotte looked at her frowning. Her own heart hammered and she remembered the day of the cricket match and feared she was about to run again. But before she could ask the actors had changed and emerged and the gathering applauded.

Captain Warrick approached and smiled. "Anything I can get you, ladies, while I am in London?" he asked.

Charlotte frowned and shook her head. "London?" She was confused. "This is a new scheme." she fanned herself and looked skeptically to Georgiana.

"With so many merchants here I am sure I would not need anything," Georgiana answered nervously and curtsied to them both and looked around the room.

Mrs. Campion looked territorially at Captain Warrick and approached in much the same way she had at the regatta when she was staking her ownership of Sidney and Charlotte had to restrain rolling her eyes.

The two of them had never come to a comfortable state in the last weeks and she had determined they never would. But why did she have to act as even Captain Warrick should also be hers? Not that Charlotte wanted him.

"Did you hear, Captain Warrick is going to London when the Prince Regent is rumored to come." she simpered.

Charlotte nodded. "He has only just told me and I am just as surprised as you."

Warrick smiled at them both. "The business can't wait even for the Prince Regent. I will return as soon as possible."

Mrs. Campion smiled. "Good, for I long to act for the Prince Regent, though I do think I would die of embarrassment if it were not well received."

Charlotte smiled. "Well you did a wonderful job, all of you. I should not worry on that count," she said kindly.

Mrs. Campion smiled her eyes squinting a little.

"Your fiance Sidney did not stay for the end." Captain Warrick looked to Mrs. Campion.

She blushed and looked up at him. "I did not notice." she blinked and Charlotte sighed at the tedious turn of the conversation. She looked around for the subject but did not see him.

Frowning she looked back to Captain Warrick. "What business do you have in London?" she asked pointedly.

He turned his attention from Mrs. Campion and smiled at Charlotte the soft smile he aways paid just to her. "Will you miss me my dearest Miss Heywood?" he said softly.

Mrs. Campion looked like an angry cat as she recoiled a fraction. She could see the torch her secret lover had for the very girl her fiance burned his own torch for. Would she never win? Did she not deserve the same adoration and more?

Charlotte smiled and inwardly laughed. "You are my friend. Of course, I will miss you."

He looked at her and smiled. "I shall endeavor to return quickly my dear," he said kissing her hand and glancing at Mrs. Campion as he did so. He could see the anger she carried. It would perhaps help to heat her up more in the bedroom. Jealousy was a potent tool.

Charlotte heard Lady Denham call her over.

She curtsied as she pulled her hand from his. Stirred she felt their eyes meet and she wondered if she were ever to give in to his regular advances would he be honorable? Likely not, he had come into her bedroom unannounced just a few weeks before and warned her to not think badly of him. She shook her head. He had even warned her not to be involved with him. The least she could do is heed it.

Charlotte knew at some point she would have to open herself up to a relationship, but for now, she was Lady Denham's companion and the success of Sanditon her pain focus.

Coming to Lady Denham's chair she looked to her. "On the table in my room is an envelope with my stamp on it," she said. "Take it to Miss Brereton and then have her escorted from the premise."

Charlotte frowned. "Are you sure?" she asked.

"I struck a deal with her." she shrugged. "All the girl wants is money."

Charlotte nodded acquiescing to her request.

Heading upstairs she thought of all that was happening that night. Her head was spinning. Georgiana was acting like she was going to do something foolish, Captain Warrick was leaving for London most abruptly and Clara Brereton had arrived days before and was now going to be escorted off the premise and Sidney was nowhere among the gathering while Mrs. Campion was acting as if she held claim on two men.

She shook her head as she came to the desk in Lady Denham's chambers and found the envelope mentioned. Picking it up she could tell it was a thick note. Lady Denham mentioned that Clara was only after money and she assumed that is what it contained. She hoped it would be enough to change the girl's fortunes. Regardless of the shocking behavior displayed.

Going back down she found Clara and handed her the note.

"I had hoped she would change her mind and let me remain," Clara said her eyes shining with unshed tears. Faked or not she was convincing.

"I asked her if she was sure she has even asked you to be escorted out," Charlotte told her sadly.

Looking to the woman she turned back to Charlotte and nodded and left her side to approach Lady Denham who sat for the moment alone.

Clara handed back the note. "I can't take it." she lifted her chin. "I wish to remain." she curtsied and nodded. "I hope to try to mend things between us with no financial expectations."

Lady Denham looked down disappointed. "I suppose I have no control over your movements, but you are not welcome here anymore," she said and pointed to her and the footmen came to her side and she shook her head.

"Please, Lady Denham I do not wish to make a scene," she said looking around to be sure others had not noticed the interaction. "Let me leave on my own accord."

Lady Denham watched her and her brows rose impatiently and sighed. "Miss Heywood, come help me to bed."

Charlotte came forward and helped the woman to rise. "Of course."

"Charlotte," she whispered as she passed. "Please come to me in the early morning tomorrow at the crown hotel." her eyes looked desperate. "I need your help," she whispered.

Nodding confused she helped Lady Denham out of the room to her own chamber. This night was complicated in the extreme. She had a lot to mull over as she waited to fall asleep that night.