Chapter 19

Alone in his own coach, Mr. Sidney Park looked out at passing street. He near the London house and he felt anxious as he looked about. The ubiquitous Miss Heywood could be found almost anywhere in Sanditon. He delighted in the possibility that he could happen upon her at any time like he had once before and he felt a smile tug at his mouth in the thought but was dashed away with obligation.

Tonight he would be expected at Eliza's and probably a substantial dinner party since the season was in full swing. He would be glad for it because it would give them little opportunity to converse. Maybe just a passing acknowledgment.

Coming to the house he found Georgiana exiting her coach with Mrs. Griffiths.

"Mr. Parker," she said more warmly than she had in the months prior. Still icy, but there had been a minor thaw he sensed and it gratified him. After all, he was trying in every sense of the word to please everyone but himself. Inclining his head politely.

"Georgiana." He said pulling his hat off. "Well met."

"How is your brother?" she asked directly.

Sidney nodded and looked down. "Much improved but he is on strict prescription to abstain from all business and dealings with Sanditon. The family has decided to stay at Trafalgar House rather than join us in London for Christmas."

She smiled. "I was sorry to hear he was ill."

"How have you managed these last weeks?" he asked looking up at the house.

Her face morphed into a glare before his very eyes. "Mrs. Griffiths was enough of a jailor but I do not enjoy the keeping of your intended. She is a cat and attacks even when unprovoked...and oh, I provoked her." she nodded once and her nose shot up in the air rebelliously.

He sighed and smiled at her. "She has no jurisdiction over you my dear, you are my ward." he looked up at his house that they finally started to move to enter.

"Are you here long?" she asked strangely hopeful he was for it would allow her more freedom from his annoying fiance.

Sidney smiled. "Maybe." he looked around.

"Any news?" he asked fishing for any mention of Charlotte. Surely Georgiana might know of her.

Georgiana turned and looked at him. "In London, there is always news," she said.

Sidney's manservant opened the door and standing before him was Eliza and he noticeably sighed as his shoulders visibly dropped. He had thought there would be hours before needing to be in her company.

"Mrs. Campion." he handed off his hat and cane. "Well met." his voice did not sound as light as he was trying to manage.

"Indeed," she said. He could see she was cross.

Looking around he frowned then eventually looked at her. "What do I owe-"

"I am here to talk about your ward," she said coldly as Georgiana gave her an icy glance and rolled her eyes as she went up the stairs. "I have been waiting for a full two hours."

"I will be in my room." Georgiana quipped.

Gesturing to his parlor he followed her after giving Georgiana a confused look but she just casually shrugged as if she wasn't going to give him any hint as to what Eliza could be in a huff about.

"Upon my word Eliza, what on earth has you in an uproar?" he said going to the table where the brandy sat.

Eliza paced slowly. Her arms were crossed. "That girl rebuffs my attention at every turn, and now she has been seen with a venerable rouge of the Beau Monde, which I am sure you would agree is a very bad match prospect." her lips thinned into a line making her less than full lips even thinner still.

Sidney looked up. "Who?" he said still confused.

Eliza huffed. "Captain Warrick," she said frustratedly as if he should already know.

Sidney nodded. "Ah, that rouge." he scoffed. "If you think Georgiana would have any interest in that reprobate con man you don't know her at all." he fair laughed at the prospect.

She looked at him her frown hopeful. "Of course, you must be right," she said. Some anger washing from her face. "You can't know how difficult it has been the last few weeks. Such strangeness among those of our acquaintance. I fair wonder if I am being cut." she looked sad.

He went back to his drink as they both remained standing in the parlor. His footman remaining near at hand and Eliza's maid sitting on the foyer bench mending something from her purse.

"Why do you believe you are being cut?" he asked looking back to his fiance.

Eliza lifted her heavy eyes. "I don't understand," she said finally sitting down. "I just am not getting invitations as I expected too." she sighed. "To keep my foot in the door I have attended with your Ward, but it is clear she does not like me and it makes for uncomfortable assemblies when I chaperone her. But I have no other recourse." she wiped at a tear. "But now you are back I am sure we will have invitations and extension to dinner parties with Lord and Lady Babington," she said pushing a weak hesitant smile to her face.

He frowned in thought and nodded. "Indeed. I am sure we can beggar a visit there tomorrow during the visiting hours if you like," he said attempting to be solicitous. After all, Charlotte's words often echoed in his head. "Make her happy." she had told him in regards to Eliza.

Eliza looked up at him hopeful and smiled genuinely. She saw him more like he had been when they were younger but then that smile faded when she noted the shallow depth in his eyes. His concern was merely a duty.

Sitting up straight recalling the dignified woman of means that she was she nodded. "I would like that Sidney."

The fire crackled emphasizing the icy silence that followed. He noted she never asked how his brother fared, or the children. The woman was ever as she always was, self-absorbed.

He watched as she moved to the foyer.

"I am not hosting a dinner tonight Sidney, I need to be alone to collect my thoughts," she said and then remembered to lean over and kiss him dutifully on the cheek.

He had to fight the urge to wipe it off.