Chapter 31: Shattered

                           E M M A: 🌹

2:25am.

        I woke up from the sound of loud glass breaking. And my eyes flew open. And the sound was of glass shattering. I barely wanted to get up, knowing that it was coming from downstairs in the kitchen. I had looked over at the time. It's long after two. Who the hell is so stupid to be breaking glass at two in the morning?

     So I dragged myself out of bed and I had left my room, closing my door behind me. And I heard glass breaking constantly and it continued. And it was so loud how did dad and Colleen not wake from this? I had just gotten down from the stairs and I entered into the kitchen and I saw Christopher just taking my dad's wine glasses and throwing them onto the kitchen floor. I was too afraid to step foot into the kitchen with glass in pieces everywhere.

    I saw that he looked a bit out of it. In his hand he had a whiskey bottle and he just kept drinking from it. He took many swigs from it. And I was woken from a sleep from him breaking these glasses. And I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I was praying that this was only just dream. And I'd wake any second.

    Christopher was muttering incoherent words to himself aloud. I tried to see if I could pick up the words. But I could barely hear a little bit to make out what he had said. He didn't even know I was there. At least not yet.

   He took another glass throwing it over the edge of the counter and it dropped onto the floor breaking into a million pieces...shattering. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I was seeing him break these wine glasses for no good reason. And I was beyond that, he just didn't seem to care. And I know he's drunk. It's the only explanation. But him being drunk is no excuse for his actions.

   "Christopher," I stepped into the kitchen with caution, terrified I might step on glass. "What are you doing?"

   He took another swig from the bottle, not caring that I had stepped into the kitchen. And I guess to him, nothing was gonna stop him. I saw his eyes looking sore. Like he was tired but was refusing to sleep. Like he hasn't slept in days.

   He took a big gulp of the whiskey and he looked so drunk he might faint. He had to grab onto the counter to keep his balance. He is so drunk right now. It must be an episode he's having. He's never like this. What happened at that party? Or what caused him to be like this? The kitchen was a disaster. And the bottle of whiskey was nearly empty. I thought he might kill himself. I saw him and he was lost in his thoughts.

He mumbled something incoherently again. And then he took another swig of the whiskey and he just took one of the known empty glasses, smashing it into the floor and it shattered breaking into pieces. He was not himself. What has gotten into him? I saw him look so sweaty almost like his entire body was soaked from a shower or rainstorm. But it wasn't raining out and he didn't step into a shower. He was covered in sweat. Sweat was dripping down his forehead and face. He was badly sweating but he was drunk. He might kill himself. He was hovering over the breakfast bar now after he drunkenly stumbles his way over to it. He got on the breakfast bar just sitting on it holding the whiskey bottle.

His head bent forward as he looked so drunk that this is not Christopher. It was like he was a whole other person. A new side. A dark side of him I would never know. But I saw the wrong side.

What was I going to do? Should I have even said anything or should I leave him drunk and miserable? Or let dad and Colleen handle it? Should I try to bring him to his room? Should I then take the blame for the mess? Or I can clean it up before they notice the mess by morning? I wasn't sure what to do. He kept drinking the whiskey down. And when he did, he threw it against the kitchen wall and it broke into pieces the glass shattering. Or more like the bottle. He took the other bottle starting to drink it. He is going to kill himself drinking this much alcohol. I cried watching him. I can't believe he is doing this.