Chapter Seventy-One

Emily's PoV

Emily's PoV

Snow begins to stuck to the ground, thin ice forming beneath the fluffy white. The dark blue sky towering over us as a large bonfire lit up the middle of the forest.

I sit nearby with Matthew in my arms, playing with my necklace.

"I can't help thinking, all these people are putting themselves in danger because Jasper and I fell in love with humans," Edward whispers to Carlisle.

Carlisle, "You found your mate. You deserve to be happy. As does Jasper."

"But at what cost?"

I could sense Carlisle was smiling at Edward, "Everyone here has something to fight for. I certainly do."

I glance down at my little boy, my heart warming when he places his hand on top of mine.

"Carlisle, I've never thanked you. For this extraordinary life."

My lips flicker into a smile, my son gazing up at me.

"Mum, are you okay?"

I softly look at my son brushing my hand through his blonde hair, "Yes, Sweetie I'm alright," bringing him closer to my chest.

He frowns slightly looking up at the stars, "Do you miss Dad?"

"I miss him greatly," I smile, picking up a small journal from the ground next to me, "This is something your father gave to me on my eighteenth birthday."

I place it into his hands, "I want you to have it."

I watch as his fingers rub the rough leather.

"What is it?" He questions, flipping through the pages very briefly.

I chuckle, "It's a story I wrote about how I fell in love with your father."

"Really!" He exclaims in awe, laying in my chest opening it to the first page, quietly reading to himself.

I smile at how conserved my son is, he's only been alive for roughly 5 months and yet he looks like he's 10 years old. His growth rate seems to be halting, appearing to age at the same pace as the 'normal' children.

"What going to happen when we meet the Volturi, Mum?"

I take a deep breathe, "We'll explain the truth."

"They won't take you away, will they?"

I shake my head, "No. Sweetie, I'll protect you forever."

He smiles, "Promise?"

I hold out my pinky finger, "I promise."

He links his with mine and we shake on it, small bouts of laughter coming from him.

»»-----------------~~~<>~~~ -----------------««

I lean against Rosalie, my eyes trained on the spurs of the orange fire, burning the logs of wood. I could feel tears forming in my eyes, my mind stuck on Jasper.

His face, his hair, his southern charm. That beautiful chiming laughter of his. Soft rosy lips, his perfect imperfect scars. Mostly I miss staring into his eyes, getting lost within the golden swirls. That's when I was truly able to see Jasper for who he was, the vulnerable side of him.

I'm knocked from my trance when I start coughing.

I place my hand to my mouth, clearing my throat from the blockage that had suddenly appeared.

"Emily!" Rose calls out, rubbing my back, gently patting it.

I feel a sticky residue on my hand, worry spreading through me.

I hesitantly drag my hand away from my mouth, looking down at a dark liquid.

"Oh!" I murmur, my eyes reaching Carlisle's.

He speeds over, everyone stopping what they are doing watching Carlisle and I.

Delicately he takes my hand in his, sniffing the black goo.

"It's not blood," he states.

I frown, "Then what is it?"

He shakes his head, "I don't know."

Bella leans forward, "She's experienced this a few times over the last few days."

I shoot Bella a glare.

Carlisle turns to me intrigued, "You should have said something."

I shrug, "There's nothing you can do. I think it has something to do with Jasper."

Eleazar smiles at me, "That sounds reasonable. Tell me how long have you been away from your soulmate?"

"Well this time it's been four months or so."

"This time?"

"Yeah, Jasper left with his family a while back when Bella and I were still human," I explain.

"And did you experience this?"

I shake my head, "No. Only a constant ache in my heart like someone had left a dagger protruding from it."

Eleazar sighs, "I think your experiencing withdrawal symptoms. As a vampire it would be heightened."

"From Jasper!" I throw him a look of shock, "You make it sound like I'm hooked on drugs."

He chuckles, "Well for soulmates, you are each others drug, constantly craving one another."

I roll my eyes, "So....Jasper must be experiencing the same thing."

Eleazar nods sadly, "Yes, you can't be apart for long."

"Then I hope I see him tomorrow," I mumble, using a tissue to wipe my mouth and hand.

xxemsy2510xx