Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 23 // 𝐼'𝑚 𝑠𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑦 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡

I wish I could escape,
I don't wanna fake it;
Wish I could erase it,
Make your heart believe,
But I'm a bad liar, bad liar.

Bad Liar - Imagine Dragons

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Something inside me screamed to tell him the truth, but I can't do that.

"Then, let me teach you that this isn't a joke. Not even a single bit." Before I could understand what he meant, he moved towards me with the fluency of lightning and captured me by my waist before I could stumble back and crushed his lips over mine, his tongue parting them while I tried to push him away.

For a second, I could taste his anger and possessiveness, as he sucked the rain clear off my bottom lips. Just then a bolt of lightning flashed above us making a booming sound and that brought me back to my senses as to why I was here.

I can't pull him back to me again.

"Are you fucking crazy, Lucas?" I hissed, jerking my head back as I tried to wiggle my way out of his hold.

"Am I crazy? Like a fool, I had faith in you, in us!" he growled, his voice rising, barely controlled, as he gripped my waist.

He looked into my eyes. "Why did you break up with me, Rachel. And I want to know the fucking truth!"

Puddles pooled around our foot.

I stared at him, my heart pounding in my chest, "Because when I spend last night with you, I realized that I wasn't actually in love with you. I was in love with the idea of being with you." I said softly.

"But last night, you said- you said you were okay, and this morning we had breakfast together. You were smiling at me, and you looked at me like you loved me." He said, tears filling his eyes as his voice broke.

"It was all a lie."

"Lie?" He said it as if he couldn't believe what I just said.

"Yes." I tried to pull away, but he held me firmly in place.

Glaring at me viciously, his hand came around the nape of my neck as he pulled my face within inches away from his, our noses brushing.

"I said no, I fucking said 'no' about fucking you when you were grieving over your Grandma's death. I warned you because I knew that these rash decisions would lead to something destructive. But you didn't listen. Why?" He shouted.

"Stop shouting," I yelled back. "It isn't about that. I just don't want to be with you." I felt his hot breath fan over my cold cheeks as my heartbeats increased and his voice broke. "Please don't take my Grace away from me."

"I'm still your best friend, Lucas," I whispered holding his face in my hands, savoring the last moments of closeness with him.

"How seriously twisted can you be?" he growled, his expression thunderous. I went to speak, but he cut me off. "Do you like someone else, Grace? If so, then remember that you're still sore by me from last night."

My breath hitched, and my body heated as he tilted my neck back, his hand fisting the back of my hair. He grazed his lips over the corner of my mouth. He then slowly slid them to my ear, his voice came out as a hot whisper. "Have you been seeing someone else this summer, whom I didn't know about? And tell me, Grace. Are you in fucking love with him?"