Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29 // 𝐼 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑙𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑠

I know you love her, but it's over, mate
It doesn't matter, put the phone away;
It's never easy to walk away, let her go,
It'll be alright.

Be Alright - Dean Lewis

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

I start reading the letters with my fingers crossed because Rachel once taught me 'crossing fingers meant wishing for luck'. And right now when I was about to start reading these letters by her, I surely needed luck.

A flutter of anxiety skitters over the top of my skin, down my neck, and sinks into my guts as waves of emotions floods through me as I start reading the letters one by one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30th April 2013

Dear Lucas,

We're soon going to be sophomores and you and I have been best friends for the last seven years.

Today, I finally want to confess my feelings to you. I love you, Lucas. I tried not to because it'll only ruin our friendship once you know. But I can't lie to myself anymore, I love you, or maybe I've loved you since the first day I saw you in front of your doorway when we were ten.

Anyway, you don't need to worry about it because I'm not going to burden you with my feelings anytime sooner.

Yours lovingly,
Rachel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

27th January 2008

Dear Lucas,

I don't think I could ever thank God enough, to have you as my best friend. Two years ago, you promised me to be my best friend and you've kept your promise.

Today, when you brought those beautiful handpicked flowers for me, I was so happy. No one has ever done that for me before.

Thank you for being so thoughtful.

Yours lovingly,
Rachel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11th September 2009

Dear Lucas,

Today was a sad day, as it was my dad's funeral. I couldn't thank you enough for staying by my side the whole day.

It's hard to believe that Dad is gone forever. He'll never come back to me, to us. When "Charlotte' died, my Dad was there to hold me, but now I've no one to wipe my tears.

I also know that you meant it when you said that you'd never leave. Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot. Also, I wanted to tell you that today when you hugged me on the swings, I felt safe for a reason I don't know.