Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 45 // 𝑇𝑎𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑓 ℎ𝑒𝑟

《Hold on, I still want you
Come back, I still need you
Let me take your hand, I'll make it right
I swear to love you all my life
Hold on, I still need you

Hold on - Chords overstreet》

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

He pulls down his mask and says. "The surgery went well."

And I finally start breathing again.

"The surgery turned out to be a bit more complicated than we expected, which is why it took a little longer than usual, but we were successful in doing what we needed to. She's still unconscious for now. I've informed the nurse so she will come and escort one of you in to see her. She'll be in recovery for a while, but we'll move her into the intensive care unit as soon as she gets back her consciousness."

"Thank you so much, Dr. Wesley, for everything," I say.

"It's my pleasure. Rachel is one of my favorite patients. I'm happy that we finally decided to go further with this decision. There will be still some post-operative appointments but she'll be fine, I assure you. You can call me or email me, whenever there's a casualty okay?" He says to Emily.

"Yes. Thank you." She replies.

After he walks away, all of us embrace in collective relief. A nurse approaches soon after, and Emily and Paul agree that I should get to see her before anyone else.

My heart skips a beat at the sight of Rachel sleeping in the recovery room.

The day on which, Rachel left me two years ago was the worst day of my life, and I never thought that I'd face anything worse than that. But I was wrong. Seeing her with tubes coming out of her was more heartbreaking, and I realized nothing could get worse than this.

She looks strangely peaceful as if she is sleeping.

A nurse checks her pulse and I ask her, "Is she awake?"

"The anesthesia is still wearing off, but she'll wake up fine," she says.

I wait patiently for her to open her eyes. When her eyelids begin to flutter, I say, "Baby, it's me...Lucas. I'm here with you now. You are fine. You made it through. We have it behind us."

Rachel blinks repeatedly and seems disoriented. It's hard to see her in such a vulnerable state but I know this is so much better than anything else.

I just keep talking. "Welcome back to the living. You're going to be okay."

"Lucas," she whispers, squeezing my hand.

Thank God.

"Yes, baby, it's me. And your mom and Sam and everyone is here, too. We're so happy you're out." I say.

She repeats, "Lucas...I made it."

"Yes and I'm so proud of you baby. I love you."

"I love you too." She whispers and dozes off to sleep.

.

.

.

Rachel was approved to be released after a few days of hospital surveillance. There were no complications so far as her diagnosis was concerned and everything was starting to feel normal after a long long time, for everyone. We went to the church together to thank god and tell him how grateful we were to him.