Chapter 31

Haley

His touch was gentle and soothing. I snapped out to reality.

"I'm just tired. I want to go to bed." I said moving away from him.

He frowned.

I turned on the night lamp and then pretended to fix the pillow. He sighed.

"Goodnight, Haley."

"Goodnight, Archer." I said.

The middle of the night, I woke up feeling thirsty. I grab the bottle of water that Archer left for me.

It was twelve-twenty am. I sipped the water and looked at the window. The blinds were down. I stepped out of the room to the living room as I see some lights coming from the outside, and almost had a small fright when I see Archer sitting on the couch with a glass of something on his hand. Maybe whisky? A laptop was sitting in front of him.

He watched me carefully as I walked towards him.

"You didn't sleep yet?" I asked standing few feet away from him.

"I was working." He said and that's when I noticed how tired he was looking.

"Ain't you tired?" I asked.

"Are we talking now?" He asked.

"Yes? We were talking before."

"You were.." he paused. "Cold and distant that time."

"Was I?" I asked.

"Yes." He said. "Come here." He patted the space beside him. I sat down beside him. "You want to share what's bothering you?"

"Nothing is bothering me." I said.

He put his glass on the glass table and looked at me. "Are you upset with someone?"

"Can we get over this topic? I'm not upset about anything or with anyone." I said a little frustrated now.

"I just wanted to know." He said.

"And I'm letting you know." I said quietly. "You should go to bed. It's late."

"You should go to bed as well." He said.

None of us made a move to stand. We sat there for some more time before I stood up. "Come." I said taking out my hand.

He put his hand on mine as I pulled him up. I stood near the staircase. "Have a good night." I give him a small smile.

"I don't like seeing you upset." He said quietly.

I was taken aback by his words, "Do you?"

"Yes. I don't know why?" He said.

I cocked my head to one side and looked at him quizzically.

"Don't worry, I'm not upset about anything." I said. "Now, go to bed." I give him a reassuring smile.

"Okay." He said. "Have a goodnight, Ms.Lynne."

"Goodnight, Mr.Rivera." I said.

Later that day, while we were on our way to work after breakfast. Archer got a call with what I assume was from Wesley. I looked out of the window-ignoring his conversation. I mentioned to Mrs.Nolan not to make lunch for me when she's not making for Archer. She was a little upset and worried that I didn't like her packed lunch. I assured her, that I don't want her to make one just for me because honestly it's not her duty to pack one for me. Her duty is to pack for Archer.

"Let's not discuss this now." Archer said. "I will call you back once I'm in my office." And after sometime he ended the call.

We soon reached Whistler. He was wearing a dark suit with matching tie and black shoes. His hair was brushed in a messy but good way. He asked me to help him with his tie instead of Mrs.Nolan.

She was amused and tried hiding a smile? She seemed to know something, that I didn't.

I followed behind him in a black top and grey paperback waist self belted glen pants with black low mid-heels with my hair in a high pony tail.

I see Ann standing near the elevator looking miserable and tired.

"She was with you yesterday?" Archer whispered quietly.

"Yes." I said.

"What's her name?" He asked.

"Ann Liu." I said. He nodded his head as we stood for the elevator to show up.

Ann didn't notice us and when she did.. she jumped a little and quickly greeted our boss. Archer very calmly and coolly greeted her back. When the elevator arrived.

"After you, ladies." He said allowing Ann and I to go through first. He stood in front of us. Ann was whispering beside me.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Not bad. How about you?"

"I had another drink with my brother." She said. "I feel miserable."

I give her a sympathetic look.

We arrived at her floor first and I whispered, I will see her during lunch. She greeted Archer goodbye before leaving.

Archer stood beside me once she left. "It's not a good idea to drink on a weekday." He said.

"It was a welcoming party." I said. "For me."

"That's nice of them.." he said. "But I still think it was not a good idea.."

I rolled my eyes at him when he was not looking.

I brew some coffee for him as soon as I have settled down.

I worked through the files that he wanted me to check and I checked my emails and replied to some. At ten am, Trevor comes walking to my desk.

"Good morning, Haley." He said and I give him a smile.

"Morning, Trevor." I said. "How may I help you today?"

"Grabbing coffee later today would be great." He give me a quick wink and I laugh a little. That was smooth. "I have to give this file to Mr.Rivera." He said showing me the file.

"I will inform him about this." I said as I pressed the button that calls him.

He picked up in few rings.

"Yes, Ms.Lynne?" He asked.

"Mr. Rivera, Mr. Miller from the finance department is here to submit the financial record for the investment you made for the food industry."

"Tell him to come in." He said. "Anything else?"

"No, sir." I said.

"Okay." And he ended the call.

"You can go in." I said to Trevor.

"Seriously, Haley. Would you like to grab coffee with me?"

"Not today, Trevor." I give him a small guilty smile.

He return one genuine smile and knocked at Archer's door before walking in. Trevor was out within few minutes. I think he just came here to submit the file.

"I'll see you during lunch, Ms.Lynne."

I just give him a polite smile.

Archer was standing near the door and glaring at the back of Trevor's head who was walking towards the elevator.