Chapter 35

Haley

"I will call the security and inform them." Mrs.Nolan frowned as she disappeared somewhere. My heart was racing like crazy.

I followed Mrs.Nolan, she picked up the home phone and dialled some number.

"That's strange?" She said. "There should have been someone at the desk to pick up the call." She decided to call the security room after three times.

They picked up and Mrs.Nolan was explaining that how she called the front desk, but no one was picking up. She then spoke about how I saw a man with a knife in his hand.

"They want some information." Mrs.Nolan said. I take the phone from her I was shaking a bit.

"Ma'am can you specify which elevator you used? The parking or the front elevator."

"The front."

"How was the man dressed?"

"Black hoodie and jeans." I said.

"Did you see his face?" He asked.

"Yes." I said taking in a deep breath.

"Thank you, we will call the police." He tells me. "We located the footage. Stay indoor for now. We don't know if he's still in the building. Thank you."

The line went off the other side.

"We will take the protocol and stay indoor for now. We don't know if the man is still in the building." Mrs.Nolan said. There was some noise-almost like an alarm, followed by shutting down of all the electricity.

"It's a building lockdown." She said. "We have to close all the blinds and lock the doors."

We both quickly went around doing everything possible before sitting quietly in the corner of the library making sure that the door was locked.

The place was eerily quiet and none of us have any idea what was going on. It felt like eternally before the alarm went quiet and then the electricity started turning on itself.

"So does that mean we are good now?" I asked.

"There will be another alarm that indicate it's all clear." She said and we heard a beep and she looked relief.

The phone rang as we came out and Mrs.Nolan went to answer the call. I found my phone in my bag and looked at the time. It's seven-twenty now. I see few text messages from Archer asking me to call him.

I wonder if it's a good idea to call him while he's having a session with Dr.Evans.

Mrs.Nolan said that it was from the security and that they did indeed found a man with weapons. She said the police will be rounding around the place and they will be over to question me.

She said she will let Stephen know about this and I let her that I was going to take a shower. When I stepped out of the room. Mrs. Nolan was with some officers.

"Ms.Lynne?" One of the woman officer came forward for a handshake.

"Hello." I said shaking her hand.

"If you don't mind can you answer some question for us."

"Sure." I said, we sat down to discuss what had happen.

"Did anyone get hurt?" I asked.

"Apparently yes." She said watching my reaction. "The front security have a non-threatening stab."

"He's in custody?"

"Yes." She said.

Archer walks in with Stephen and Grant behind him. His face held no emotion at all.

"Mr.Rivera." The officers greeted him. "We are here to get some more information about the situation that happened a while ago.."

"Do you remember how the person looked like?" The woman officer distracted me.

"Yes." I said. "And I know he have a scar on his left eye-brow."

She nodded her head. "If I give you some pictures of people-will you be able to recognize him, now?"

"I guess so." I said.

She laid out five pictures and I see that man in an orange uniform. His eyes held no emotions at all.

I pointed to the man and she nodded. "Thank you for your cooperation." She said. "Thank you for keeping calm."

"Are you okay?" Archer asked me when I approached him and the officer.

"Yes." I said.

"So, she's your friend?" The officer asked looking at me.

"Yes. Also my staff."

The officer raised one of his eyebrow at us. It's the truth?

"Any motive found?" Archer asked the officer.

"Not yet." The officer said. "It doesn't seem like burglary, he didn't try to steal anything."

Archer pursed his lip together and said, "My security and I are aware that Ms.Lynne was been followed by someone for few days."

My mouth dropped open. This is NEWS to me. Why didn't he mentioned this news to me before?

"Is it?" The officer looked taken aback.

"There are some police detectives and private investigators, who have been working on this case." He explained.

"Can you tell us a bit?" Another officer came forward.

"So, you mean to say you were threatened by someone anonymous and that in LA, Ms.Lynne was given a package that had your family and yours information and so far in your investigation you think, that someone was going to approach her and try to get back the files?"

"Yes."

So, I was a pawn. That's why I am here, that's why he's feeling guilty. I felt nauseous. All this time, he knew everything and he didn't bother to tell me a single thing.

"We'll be forwarding this case to the detectives."

"Thank you."

When they finally left I glared at him.

"You f*cking brought me here to be your pawn?" I glared at him.I can see Stephen and the other staffs scurrying away.

"Yes and No." he said trying to explain. "We had some idea that they will come to look for you to get back the documents, that's why someone have been following you around."

"And when were you going to tell me about it? When I get killed?"

He winced. "I wouldn't let that happen to you."

"Of course because you don't want to get your hands dirty or your reputation." I hissed. "That's why you are f*cking treating me with things because you were guilty and also because that was your way of making it up." I was beyond irritated with him.

"No. I wouldn't let anything happen to you because.." just like that he stopped talking.

"You don't have any explanation." I hissed and the next thing I blurted out. "I want to go home."