19| Papa's Final Words

~Waylon~

~Waylon~

"Goodnight everyone, we shall reach Forester by dawn,"

After a full day of traveling to the other side of the island, my papa decided it was time to camp out at a small clearing in the deep woods where the soft moss patterned the floor. Exhausted from a day of running, my fellow alphas and betas settled in their small groups according to their pack. Papa sat down by himself as his massive paw scratched his ear and I quickly scampered over to him.

You okay buddy?

Papa asked through our shared link and I sat in front of him, a deep question lingering in the air between us but I was terrified of the answer.

Why didn't dad call my name?

I finally asked and Papa blinked a few times, his large ocean blue eyes almost processing how he would say the answer. His white tiger was a lot taller than my normal one so he gently pressed his nose to my forehead and looked at the small group.

Come with me

Is all he says as his graceful tiger slinks away from the group and I follow his elegant footsteps, but I'm pretty sure I'm just tripping over myself. I hate shifting so I rarely ever did it. My tiger form is so much smaller than my wolf counterparts and I just look pathetic when I stand beside Papa's massive white tiger.

We don't go far, walking just enough for the group to be out of sight and earshot as Papa swats at my head and I growl, swatting him back. He always does that when he can tell I'm embarrassed by the tiger form I got from him.

Oh Wei, unfortunately, the elders have informed us that you are no longer eligible to become the next Beta of the Kailea pack. I don't know why exactly, but I have my guesses

He says and I let out a long sigh of relief instead of anger. Knowing that Juniper wouldn't be completely helpless when I left covered most of my guilt.

I suspect by your reaction that you know why, care to share?

Papa asks and I look back towards where the packs were waiting, gulping slightly as I thought of if I could really tell my papa and if he would be mad at me.

Oooh, it's a juicy secret I see, I'll wait

Papa taunts me as he lays down like a powerful sphinx with his long tail wrapped around him. He goes on to lick his paw as if he's just waiting for me to spill it all.

Promise you won't be mad?

I plead and he rolls his eyes as if I'm being dramatic. But what if he disowns me when he finds out? The house of Kailea and house of Crimson haven't really had the best history.