20| The House of Crimson

~Alexei~

"Nervous?" 

Artemis asks as we approach our pack with our small group of alphas. Our third stop and second to last stop on the alpha walk, I could feel the anxiety building in my chest. After going through the house of Forester, experiencing their family environment with massive round table candlelight dinners filled with laughter to the house of Lotus where magic and healing were one with the pack, I was excited to learn about my own pack and culture. 

Growing up in Kailea, I only visited in secret with Beta Noah to speak with the elders but I haven't met any members of my own pack. Not even the ones I go to school with. 

Waylon's hand touched mine as our fingers intertwined when we approached the iron gates of my pack and my heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. He rubs small circles onto the back of my hand as if to tell me everything's going to be okay before letting go with a squeeze. 

The group stops and forms two lines, gazing upon me as they let Artemis and I take the front. There was a strange silence as we walked up to the open gate with two guards bringing their hands up to a salute as we passed. The cobblestone pathway leading into the pack's citadel and my future home, every member of the pack lined the streets in silence to watch me. 

I looked over my shoulder at Artemis and she forced her shoulders back, holding her head up high to suggest I do the same. I take in a deep breath and start my walk, with each member dropping to their knees in a bow of respect as I passed. Some even broke down into tears when they gazed upon me, weeping heavily with smiles on their faces. 

I looked at each and every one of them, nodding and making eye contact with my people and in watchful gaze, I suddenly felt at home. Reaching the citadel, the Kailea Elder that had been watching over the pack for me, awaiting my arrival stood watch holding my crimson crown. 

Her assistant carried a smaller version for my sister as they stood together and smiled, tears streaming down the Elder's cheeks as she waited for me to reach her. Once I did, I slowly got down on one knee and bowed my head with Artemis and the rest of the group doing the same since Elders are above all of us. 

She places the crown on my head which was light in nature but heavy with meaning before tilting my chin up, taking a small pinch of red clay on her fingers from a special wooden bowl, she drew and 'x' shape to symbolize my chosen status, five dots on both sides to symbolize the years I've been gone, and a line going straight through all of the previous for my return. 

"The prodigal son and daughter have returned at last!" The Crimson Elder announces and the crowds suddenly break their silence with festive cheers to celebrate our return. 

"Welcome home Alpha Alexei and Beta Artemis of the great House of Crimson!" She raises her hands and the Crimson chant is repeated by Crimson, welcoming us back.