22| The Ceremony

~Alexei~

"Your skin is so soft," 

One of the pack mothers complements as I sit still on a soft silk pillow in the center of the room, surrounded by the Crimson pack mothers as they decorate my upper body in henna with our traditional tribal symbols. 

"Thank you," I nod as she pipes small delicate roses on my wrist. It's a tradition that every alpha is currently undergoing and is usually performed with the lead being their mother. But since I don't have a mother, my Elder sits before me, her eyes closed with gentle mutters leaving her lips as she prayed to the gods and goddesses for me. 

Artemis goes through the same behind me, I can tell they're almost finished when they start standing back and admiring all of their hard work. The last dab of henna is applied then dried before I'm free to move. Standing up I turn to face my sister with her hair wrapped up in her white hijab with a small crimson broach pinning it to her white ceremony outfit which matched mine.

"Ready?" I asked and she took in a deep breath, the elder leaves so it's just the two of us together for these final moments before our Lunos and Gamma are to join us on this adventure. 

"What if I don't have a mate, Alexei? I didn't grow up here, so I feel quite stupid to be honest," She confesses as she pulls at her white garments. I take my top half and slide it on before I take her Crimson lei and place it over her strong shoulders. 

"You were still born on the island Ari," I remind her, fixing the lei to sit perfectly as she takes mine in her hands and holds it for a second. 

"I know, I guess I just don't know what to expect is all," She explains as I bow my head and she places my lei. 

"Do you think you know who yours is?" I ask her and she gives a soft smile that I've never seen in my sister before as she thinks of this one special person. 

"I have my hopes and dreams but you might be mad if they come true," She says without any clue as to who it could be. 

"What are you talking about?" I try to get more information but she wasn't budging. 

"Guess you'll find out after this ceremony," She says with a wink and I look in the mirror one last time. Checking my gelled back raven black hair, my bright hazel eyes, and the white cloth of these robes standing out against my darker complexion. The crimson of the lei matches the pattern on my shoulders and I look back at Artemis. 

"Well, to the next chapter of our lives and this time, we'll get to do it together," She says with a bright all-knowing smile that calms my nerves just slightly. But there was only one thing that could possibly soothe my anxious soul.