chapter 6

When we arrive to the small little cafe, the hostess checks us in and seats us at our booth. The place is nothing like I expected. Its mixture of antique and modern looks makes it one hundred times more beautiful. As we read through the menus I decided on avocado toast and an almond milk latte. Ruel rolls his eyes and mouths "basic" to me when I tell our waiter what I want. I do the same thing when he orders and he just playfully glares at me.

During our breakfast, Ruel and I pick right back up on our conversation from last night. He told me how this one song that he wrote, called "Hard Sometimes" was about how he feels like he is missing out on so much back home because of his career and I can truthfully say that I can relate to that too. Even though I have never heard the song I can tell by the emotion he puts behind talking about it that his it means so much to him. I love the way we just instantly clicked and can now talk about how much our music really means to each other.

Once we are done eating, we walk around for a little bit until we decide to go to Sutton beach. It's kind of chilly outside and still early in the day, so when we reach the stunning blue shores there is almost no people. Obviously we weren't going into the water, but instead wanted to walk along the waters line. After walking for about 30 minutes talking about random stuff, I found a nice spot in the sand to sit down.

Motioning for Ruel to sit down with me, I say, "This place is absolutely beautiful!"

"I knew you would like it. You have that sort of vibe about you." Ruel states.

"Hey what's that supposed to mean!" I giggle.

He picks up a handful of sand and staring at the water he answers "I don't know. You just seem like the type of girl to make the beach your lifestyle I guess."

"Okay..." I respond being clueless. I didn't know if I offended him or anything but that answer did not seem friendly.

Taking that as hint I ask him, "Are you okay?"

Sitting with his chin rested upon his knees as his arms hold them together, he sighs and stays silent for a couple seconds. "Yeah I'm fine."

"No you're not. What's wrong you can tell me." I reassure him.

"Well to be honest I'm really sad that you're leaving tonight. I've been struggling to try and write songs, but after last night I sat down and wrote my heart out. I have never had someone inspire me as much as you have and I'm just really bummed we don't have that much time together." Ruel lets out.

When Ruel said this I couldn't help but blush. He is an amazing artist, way better than me and he just revealed how I inspired him. I find that surprising but oddly soothing. "Aw, I'm glad that I could help you and I'm really sad I have to leave tonight. Brisbane is such a beautiful place but I am excited to see Sydney!"

"Wait you're leaving tonight to go to Sydney?" Ruel asks, clearly puzzled.

"Yeah...why? Will Sydney not live up to my standards now that I've seen beautiful Brisbane?" I joke.

He turns to finally face me and says, "No I just thought you meant you were going back to the states tonight when you mentioned you were leaving. I got super sad knowing you would be so far away from me."

"That's my fault! I should have mentioned that I was going to Sydney. I have two shows there this week and then the international leg of my tour will be over." I frown. I love being on tour so much and the thought of the international part ending so soon makes my stomach turn.

"Wait that's super cool! Going international for your first album is probably something not a lot of artists get to experience."

"I love it. I feel like I am living the dream!" I laugh.

Ruel and I talk on the beach for a couple more hours until the sun starts to go down. When I check the time my phone says that it is already 5:30. How long have we've been on this beach? Jenny and I are supposed to be leaving the hotel at 9:30 so I have to get back and pack last minute things. All while worrying about leaving I start to notice that I am getting really hungry. I realized that Ruel and I haven't eaten anything since breakfast this morning, so I can imagine how hungry he must be.

"I hear Brisbane makes killer dinner and I'm getting kind of hungry so what do you say we grab food or something?" I ask.

"I was just about to ask you the same thing. That omelet that I had this morning did not cut it." Ruel whines.

Suddenly an idea hits me. "If you're okay with it, we can go back to my hotel room and order room service. I ordered it last night and it was delicious! I can text Jenny right now, I'm sure she won't mind."

"Sounds like a plan!" Ruel responds standing up to brush the sand off of his pants. He holds his hand out to help me up and I gladly take it.

Once we are both sand-less and we start making our way back to the hotel. I can tell that Ruel is worn out so I suggest we take an Uber. He declines at first, saying taking an Uber this time can be sketchy but I convince him that I will be able to fight off anyone who tries to hurt us.