chapter 29

The car ride was long and dreary driving to the airport. Kate and Jenny were seated in the middle row, leaving Ruel and I seated all the way back in the third row. My emotions are swirling and I can't tell if I'm sad, worried or lost. I decide to put my headphones in and listen to some music, to hopefully distract me from how I'm feeling.

I lay my head on Ruel's shoulder and smile at the thought of how I did this the first time we were together. Even though this wasn't even a week ago, it feels like a lifetime has passed. I never realized how much someone could impact your life in such a short time until I met Ruel. He's a very special person and I intend on keeping him in my life for a long time.

Hours passed and before I know it, I'm sitting in the terminal gate with Ruel, anxiously waiting for the time where I board the plane.I board in thirty minutes and keep checking my phone wishing that time could be slowed down. I don't know how many more times I can say it, but I don't want to leave Ruel. Spending time with him is like waking up on Christmas morning, looking at all the presents under the tree. It makes me feel special and everything else in my life disappears.

I look over at Ruel to find him looking back at me. His leg is bouncing up and down and he's picking at the skin surrounding his fingers. He speaks softly and I can't make out what he said.

"Can I tell you something?" He repeats.

"Of course you can."

He takes a deep breath and says, "These last couple of days hanging out with you have been really fun. Obviously, you already know how I feel about you and I haven't felt like this about anyone in a long time." He pauses and takes my hand into his, a nice gesture that has become very common withing the past days. "I don't know about you but I would love to see where this goes. I know we won't be together but maybe we could try out this whole 'talking' thing... you know? Like we aren't labeled as dating or anything, but we still do couple things together."

A warm feeling rushes through my body and I can't help but smile at his answer. I was very worried about us being to busy for each other in America, but now that I know Ruel is willing to make time for me and wants to try and start some kind of relationship, all my worry goes away.

"I would love that!" I laugh. "I think it's good that we aren't gonna rush into things, especially because of the distance."

"That's going to be hard, but I'm sure we both can handle it."

"I think I'll be able to handle it...but you? You couldn't even go a day without seeing me, so you had to show up to my show!" I joke, sticking my tongue out at Ruel.

"Oh shut it, you know you missed me. You were all like 'blah blah blah, I miss you Ruel' over the phone!" He responds back, laughing equally as hard.

Before I know it, time has flown bye and the flight attendant calls out that my flight boards in 10 minutes. The time has come to say goodbye to the boy who stole my heart in four whole days.