chapter 51

California, the state with the biggest population. A bigger population calls for bigger venues, bigger stages and a lot more people. The show tonight is my biggest show I'm going to do on my tour. I would usually be nervous for a show like this, but I'm a new person! For two whole weeks my whole thing on starting fresh has been working...kinda. It's been another two weeks since Kate texted me and I tried calling Ruel. During these fourteen days I've called Ruel at least once a day. I know it probably wasn't smart of me, but I just thought if he answered once and we could talk things out, we could maybe try and be friends. I just need to end things on a good note with him because being on bad terms is not feeling so great.

Anyways, back to California. This is my last show of the tour and I'm feeling really sad. As much as this tour took a drain on my personal life, being on the road and performing in different states has been a dream. When I stand on those different stages, singing in front of thousands of different people every night I forget about everything going on in the world. It's just me and my fans having the times of our lives. Nothing else matters.

Soundcheck is in a couple of minutes and because I've had so many shows and done soundcheck enough to know what I'm doing, I usually spend my time fooling around and singing songs that aren't on my set list. Amy's at today's soundcheck and whenever she's here, I know it's gonna be a blast.

"You guys can leave, me and Madeline have it from here." Amy tells the band when after I sing a couple songs on my set list.

I help the band pack up and wave bye to them when they leave. Once they leave Amy starts talking to me but something in my mind is holding me back from listening to her. It's not that I'm ignoring her, it's just that I'm to focused on something else to listen to her talk. I suddenly reach over and grab my guitar and start singing The Night We Met by Lord Huron, completely interrupting Amy.

"I had all and then, most of you
Some and now, none of you
Take me back to the night we met
I don't know what I'm supposed to do
Haunted by the ghost of you
Oh, take me back to the night we met "

"Madeline what-"

I continue singing.

When the night was full of terror
And your eyes were filled with tears
When you had not touched me yet
Oh, take me back to the night we met

Amy sighs and then smiles. "You're thinking about him aren't you?"

I look up at her. "Maybe."

"Well do you still like him?"

I sit in silence for a couple seconds and then whisper, "I think I love him."

"So why are you sitting here and not doing anything! Go tell him girl!" Amy exclaims.

I run to my dressing room and pull out my phone, only to see a missed call from Ruel. He called me back. And I missed it.