chapter 27

The smell of bacon fills my nose as we walk into the small diner. The hostess bring us to our booth and gets Ruel and I each a glass of water. As I skim through the menu, I notice that the food on here must be local to Australia only, because I've never heard of any of these choices before. With the help of Ruel, I decide on a plain bagel with plain cream cheese.

The food comes quickly and it tasted way better than I expected it to be. We've only been here for 30 minutes and I know that once we leave I have to go back to my original hotel room and start packing for the airport tonight.

"Do you think the waitress will mind if we stay here longer? I'm not sure I want to leave just yet." I say to Ruel.

"Considering the place is nowhere near crowded, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say we're fine." He jokes.

I look around the small diner and admire the beautiful place. To be truthfully honest, I'm not that sad about leaving Australia. I mean of course I'm sad leaving such a pretty country but I'm really worried about Ruel. With both of our tours starting back up, we're gonna be really busy and probably won't have time to talk to each other. These negative thoughts bring a frown to my face and I guess Ruel notices because he instantly says, "Sad you're leaving tonight?"

I look at him, sadness filling up my eyes. "Yeah, I'm really sad."

"Well at least you're not leaving me. We'll still be in America together."

I half smile at Ruel's attempt to make me laugh. "Yeah, if being 'together' means being in different states."

"Don't be so negative Mads. We're gonna be in the same country together again and that's all that counts."

"Yeah, I guess."

Reaching across the booth, Ruel takes my hand in his. "What's the real reason you're upset?"

One side of my brain tells me that being worried about not talking to Ruel in America sounds childish, but the other part of my brain tells me it's a valid reason to be upset. Before telling Ruel the truth I take a deep breathe and let out my feelings.

"This might sound stupid, but I'm just really worried that we're gonna lose contact with each other when we get to America. We are both going to be really busy with tour and press interviews and it makes me wonder if we are even gonna have time for each other."

Ruel looks at me and I can't tell what he thinks. He smiles and relief rushes through my body. "Yeah we're both gonna be busy, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop talking to you. My tour is important to me, and just because that's starting up soon doesn't take away from the fact that you're also important to me. I'll make sure I make time for you and that's a promise I will stand by."

I can't help but blush at his kind words. I'm glad we got that problem figured out because it was honestly really starting to stress me out.

Ruel and I sit at the booth for a little while longer before deciding we should head back to the hotel. We both have things to get done before we leave to go to the airport tonight and sitting at a diner definitely won't help.