chapter 48

The moment of truth. I pull out my phone and type in Kate's phone number. I'm about to press dial but something in me is holding me back. I don't think I'm ready to hear her voice because I know that I'll end up crying and my "fresh start" and everything I've done to overcome what happened will be ruined. I decide to text her instead.

hey, saw you called earlier, sorry i couldn't answer. is everything alright? hope all is good.

I check with Amy and Jenny to make sure it's good enough to send to Ruel's mom. When they give me their approval I press send.

Without a minute to spare my phone dings. Kate texted me back.

Hey Madeline, I'm sorry if I worried you but I just wanted to check in and make sure everything's alright with you. I know I'm probably the last person you want to be talking to right now but please, if you have a minute I would love to talk to you for a few.

I show my best friend and manager Kate's text and they suggest that I still remain with texting her.

sorry i can't call you right now but i can still text.

Okay so sorry to bother you.

it's okay you're not.

If you can't tell already, I'm lying.

So obviously I know you've ended things with my son, but I just want to let you know that the situation isn't what you think it is.

Of course she just wants to talk about Ruel. Does this lady not understand that we haven't talked for two weeks and that anytime Ruel's name comes up I just want to cry. I knew texting her was going to be a bad idea.

Jenny suggests that I stop texting her because I'm just going to get more upset and go back into the black hole that consumed me for the 14 days earlier. I personally want to keep texting Kate because she quotes "the situation isn't what I think it is".

i know you're his mom and I'm not trying to make him sound like the bad guy or anything, but I wasn't going to keep things going with someone who was just going to use me as a temporary interest. and also because your his mother, I know you're on his side and will do anything to make him happy, so if he's asking you to text me for him, just please be honest with me because I really am trying to start fresh and forget about this whole thing.

Madeline, I understand where you're coming from and I would never want to put you in a position where you're uncomfortable. Ruel does not know that I'm texting you right now and in fact, I'm on nobody's side. I think you guys where both wrong in this situation that ended so tragically.

I literally want to throw my phone out the window? Did she really say that I was in the wrong in this situation as well? Excuse me, but I don't recall me having a secret boyfriend and keeping it a secret while I was flirting with some other guy I just met!

i'm sorry Kate, but I don't think I was in the wrong. i believe it was your son's fault for not telling me about his girlfriend back home and basically just cheating on the both of us.

You see that's the thing. As his mother, I tend to notice a lot of things about my children. When Ruel gets angry or annoyed, he tends to one, make the other person he's fighting with angry and two, leave out important information that could make or break a situation. That's exactly what he did to you.

Reading this text message, I can feel my blood boil. Is she really trying to tell me that Ruel was lying, once again when he was fighting with me. Jenny and Amy urge me to text back quickly, as they are involved in this situation just as much as I am.