chapter 26

I awake the next morning and find myself shocked that I'm still in the same bed as last night. I look over to see that Ruel is curled up next to me, still sleeping. Careful not to wake him, I climb out of bed and walk over to Maggie's crib to check on her. My heart stops as I notice that she's not in it, and I run over to grab my phone. I try to turn it on and with my luck, of course it's dead. What a great Godmother I am. I look frantically around the small room to find a charger and of course there is every other type of charger except an Iphone charger. I didn't want to wake up Ruel but that's my only option as of right now.

"Ruel, Ruel, wake up. Maggie's missing and my phone is dead so I can't call anybody." I say shaking him awake. The anxious side of my brain has now taken control of my whole body.

Ruel open and closes his eyes, rubbing them as he's awoken by my frantic jolts. "What Mads? What's wrong?"

Grabbing Ruel by his hand, I drag him out of bed without giving him an explanation. I rush us over to the crib and point to show him where Maggie is supposed to be.

"Oh you're worried about Maggie." Ruel says with an exaggeration on the last word. "Don't worry, Amy came in around three last night and took her so she wouldn't wake us up in the middle of the night with her crying."

I arch my eyebrows in confusion and stare at him. "What do you mean took her? This is her room!" I exclaim. I have no idea why I'm getting angry at Ruel, when he was the one who saw Amy take Maggie last night.

"Relax Mads, Jenny, my mom and Amy crashed in my room last night. They were all tired and drunk and didn't want to bother us."

Sitting back down on the bed, I rub my temples. I've only been awake 10 minutes and I already have a headache. "That makes sense now. Sorry for yelling, I shouldn't have."

Ruel smiles and sits down next to me. His eyes are puffy and his lips are swollen, hinting at the fact that he just woke up. Morning Ruel is a type of Ruel I've never seen before, but I definitely like what I see. He takes one of his arms and wraps it around me and I lean into him, closing my eyes. I'm so thankful that none of the problems this past morning actually turned out to be big issues. I don't know what I would have done if Maggie actually went missing.

I check to see what time it is because I can feel myself start to get hungry. I take out my phone just to put it right back, forgetting that it's dead. Noticing, Ruel says, "It's only 8:30."

"Really? That means I barely got any sleep last night."

"You got more than me. I stayed up to make sure Amy came back and after she left with Maggie, I couldn't fall back to sleep."

I feel bad for making Ruel stay up with Maggie, when I know I should have been the one. After all, Ruel has never met her before and I am her godmother. "I'm sorry, I should've been the one to stay up with her."

"Mads, you apologize to much. It's not your fault that you fell asleep, I was the one who offered to stay up with her anyways."

"I know it's just not fair of me."

Ruel laughs and rubs my back. "Well if you want to make it equal, you can make it up to me by coming to breakfast. There's a good cafe right down the street that we can go too, and it technically is our last day together."

I frown at the thought of this leaving Ruel again tonight, and even though we both fly back to America, I fly into New York and Ruel flies into Houston. "I would love too, but I don't have any clothes."

Ruel plops off the bed and walks over to the chair we he folded the sweatshirt he brought for me last night. He picks it up and throws it at me, a large grin very apparent on his face. "Now you do. Just wear that and my sweatpants that I gave you and call it day. It's not like we're going to dine with the queen."

I roll my eyes at him and pull the sweatshirt over my head. Making way to the bathroom, I use Jenny's hairbrush to fix my wild mane and then wash my face. I debate whether to leave Amy a note, explaining where we went, but Ruel beat me to it. Minutes later, we exit the room and walk down to the elevators.