chapter 8

This was the moment I was dreading the whole entire night. "Ruel, you'll never understand how much I appreciate you being here with me these last two days. You've shown me nothing but kindness and I am so glad to be your friend."

"Mads don't make me cry! I'm beyond glad that I've met someone like you, someone who shares the same amount of passion about their music as me. You are a beautiful and lovely women and I would love it if we-"

I don't know what possessed me to kiss him but I did. I saw Jenny's mouth drop from the bathroom and Ruel didn't pull away so clearly he didn't mind it. His lips brushed against mine and I could feel my breathing intensify. I don't want this moment to end because I don't want to leave Ruel. His hands move to my head and he pushes my hair back behind my ear, all while kissing me. I move my hands up to his head, as if I am almost caressing his neck. His breath is warm and I'm lost in his touch. In this moment, I want Ruel and only Ruel.

The kiss is then broken up when Jenny coughs, trying to get our attention. Ruel and I both look at each other, the color red filling up our cheeks. We smile at each other and then turn our attention over to Jenny.

"Sorry to ruin the fun you just had there but we really have to get going. We have long roadtrip ahead of us!" Jenny says. "I want each of you guys to grab a suitcase and head down to the car!"

Doing as Jenny says, Ruel and I grab a suitcase and head for the elevator. The ride down is silent and as we approach the car I feel sick to my stomach. This is it. The moment where I have to leave Ruel.

"Mads, whatever happened up there...I liked it." Ruel whispers.

"Me too." I say, pushing his arms open so he can hug me.

We hug and before I know it he kisses me again. This time just on the head, probably because there is so many people around us. "Be safe and text me when you get a chance. Have fun with your shows too. I know you'll do amazing."

"Thank you Ruel."

And just like that I head into the car. I notice that Jenny and Ruel are talking which is strange but I'm too sad to care. Why did I have to meet Ruel? Thoughts fill my head as I feel the car move beneath me. I watch Ruel carefully out the window as he gets smaller and smaller the farther away I get. I feel tears roll down my cheeks and lean into Jenny for comfort.

"Madeline I know you're upset right now but you just met the kid." Jenny says.

"I know but he was so kind and we just clicked instantly."

Jenny looks at me and takes my hand. "I'm gonna give you some advice. People your age struggle with their feelings. Figure out if you actually like him or you just like the thought of him. He's a nice boy and I don't want either of you getting hurt."

I just nod my head and lean back up against the seat. Her advice got me thinking. Do I actually like Ruel or do I just like the idea of having somebody who cares about me in a romantic way? Ruel is attractive yes, but I don't know much about him. I know he likes making music and I know a little about his family and where he grew up but that's about it. Do I really like Ruel?