chapter 23

I get up from the bed and use the bathroom. I found Amy's guitar in the bathroom and bring it out to Ruel so he could play. When I sit back on the bed, I see that Maggie is asleep in Ruel's lap. I look at him, then Maggie, and back at him. I take my phone out and snap the picture. Seeing Ruel smile with a sleeping baby on his lap is probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life. I smile at the picture and send it to Amy, just to update her on how we're doing.

Unfortunately, I have to take Maggie off of Ruel and put her in the crib, so she can actually go to sleep. As soon as I'm done I immediately go back onto the bed. I've had a long day today and I feel like I could pass out any minute. Ruel playing on the guitar is the only thing that's keeping me awake.

"Are you tired Mads?" Ruel asks putting the guitar down.

I rub my eyes and nod my head yes.

"You can go to sleep if you want. I can stay up and watch Maggie, I know you've had a long day."

I look at him and smile. "Don't worry about it, I can stay awake. I didn't bring pajamas either so I don't plan on sleeping anytime soon."

I wore jeans and a sweater to dinner, and lord knows I can't sleep in them. Sleeping in jeans is like petting a tiger, only crazy people do it. I would sleep in the sweater, but it's so damn hot in this hotel room. Amy told us specifically not to touch the heat, because Maggie needs it at a certain temperature.

"My hotel room is on the other side of this floor. I could run down there quickly and get you some." Ruel suggests.

I don't want Ruel to run into those crazy fans again, but I do really want to sleep. "Are you sure you wouldn't mind?" I ask him.

"Not one bit...I'll be back." He says getting off the bed and leaving the room.

Not even ten minutes later, Ruel is back with pajama's for me. He brought me a t shirt, some sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I take the shirt and sweatpants and go into the bathroom to change. When I get back, I can see that Ruel is now sitting up against the bed, with the guitar in his hand.

"Play something." I tell Ruel when I sit back down.

"What do you want me to play?"

"One of your songs."

He takes a minute and I can tell he's deciding what song to play. To be truthfully honest, I haven't listened to any of Ruel's songs. In the past couple of days I wanted to, but got scared that they would make me miss him so much more.

Within a couple of minutes Ruel starts strumming the guitar. I cross my legs and sit up, showing him that I'm listening.

I'm tired of that fantasy, I'm tired of that daydream.
Tired of just waiting for sleep to see you
I know it's imaginary, but I think my mind is ready
Need to leave this sanctuary for something true

As I nod along to the song, I can see a smile start to form on his face. The way his voice sounds singing is beautiful. No auto tune, no music, just a guitar and his pure voice. I can't help tear up at the beautiful sight. God, why am I so emotional?

Ruel looks up from the guitar and his smile widens. He puts the instrument to the side and pulls me into his lap. As I wrap my legs around him, we stare into each other's eyes.