chapter 9

After a long night of traveling, my team and I arrived to our new hotel in Sydney around 4:30 in the morning. I was asleep most of the ride so I wasn't that tired when arrived to the new city. I have another show tonight, so I better get even more rest. With my emotions still racing, I take off my shoes and go to sleep.

I wake up to the unpleasant noise of Jenny's meditating app on her phone. Every morning before a show she does this meditation routine which is super random, considering I'm the one performing. I jump out of bed and without saying a word to her I take a nice, warm shower.

In the shower I try not to let my feelings get the best of me. Leaving Ruel was so hard and I just cannot seem to wrap my head around it. I mean I've known the guy for two days so do I really like him? Jenny's advice seeps through my head as the warm water washes the conditioner off my hair. Before I know it, the water runs cold and I quickly jump out of the shower. I blow dry my hair and decide to once again straighten it. I put on a cropped tee and a pair of sweats and head out into the room. We don't have much time before we have to leave for the venue to do soundcheck, so I put on my air force ones and quickly eat a muffin that Jenny must have bought.

Riding in the car to soundcheck I decide to face chat with Ruel. I haven't texted him since I left last night and I know he wanted me to update him. I dial his number and wait for the ringing to stop.

"Hey!" I say when he answers the chat.

In a calm but serious tone he answers, "Mads, why didn't you call or text me when you got to your hotel last night?"

What the heck? I know I should have texted him but it was early in the morning and I just assumed he was probably sleeping. "Uh sorry I didn't realize it was a big deal. I got in around 4:30 and I just assumed you were sleeping."

"I couldn't sleep last night." He states.

I feel really bad for not texting Ruel now. He was probably up all night wondering if I made it safely to Sydney. Actually, now that I think of it, he probably wasn't. It would've been nice if he was.

"So...what are your plans for the day?" I ask hoping to change the subject.

Looking at my phone, I can see that he's sitting up in his bed shirtless. He could probably see me staring at him through the phone and quickly pulls a shirt over his head. "Nothing much. I have to pack because I'm leaving for tour tonight but other than that, it's another boring day." Out of the corner of my eyes I see Jenny smile at his words and wonder what the hell is going on in her mind.

As we approach the venue I tell Ruel that I have to go and that I'll call him before I go on. My heart smiles as the van approaches the long line of people waiting outside to see me perform in a couple of hours. Memories of when I was younger waiting in line to see my favorite artist perform fill my brain and I think it's so funny to see how much the roles have reversed. I get out of the car and security helps me get through the crowd of people calling my name. I love my supporters so much and I don't know what I would do without them.