chapter 22

As if the night couldn't get worse, a group of girls come racing up behind us. They're screaming Ruel's name and when he turns around all of their eyes go wide. I don't think they were expecting to see a baby with him, but what can you do?"

"Can we take a picture with you Ruel? I really love your music!" One of the girl asks.

I don't think Amy would appreciate it if we stopped and took pictures with fans while we were watching her baby, so when the girl asks this my heart races. I shoot Ruel a look and he nods his head, understanding what I mean. "I'm sorry girls, not tonight. I've got to get back to my hotel room."

"You're really blowing us off for this chick?" One of the girls says pointing to me. "What a great artist! Blowing his fans off for some whore with a baby!"

Anger fills up inside me once again and I want nothing less than to just yell at this girl for calling me a whore.

Ruel fixes his shirt and stands up straight. "I'm sorry ladies, but I can't tonight. I have important stuff that I need to do and I can't be kept up."

I turn back around and start walking back the original way we were before we got called up by those girls. Ruel put his hand on my back and walked me to Amy's hotel room. By the time we made it there, I could still here those girls calling me inappropriate names.

Getting into the room, I put my bags down and sit up against the bed. Ruel unbuckles Maggie from the stroller and picks her up. I am suddenly reminded of Ruel's moms words and wonder if I should tell Ruel how to hold her. I feel relief when he holds her the right way and sits down right next to me.

Ruel looks at me with sad eyes and takes my hand. "I'm sorry those girls called you those awful names. They were probably just jealous that I was with you and refused to take pictures with them."

I squeeze his hand. "Don't worry about Ruel, it's not your fault. I wasn't angry."

"I know I just feel bad. Sometimes my fans are known for being over the top."

"Those fans are the best fans though right?" I laugh.