chapter 28

Amy is sitting on the bed with Maggie when Ruel and I walk through the door. I'm glad to see my best friend awake, but she looks like a hot mess. I guess that's what you get for partying all night long.

"Good morning guys." Amy greets us as she burps Maggie. "Are you guys as sad as I am about leaving today?"

I look at Amy and frown. "Why wouldn't I be sad! I've had such a great time these past couple of days!"

Amy smiles at my words. "Yeah I can tell."

My eyebrows arch and I'm very confused. "What do you mean?"

"Just because I wasn't in the room last night, doesn't mean I didn't see what was going on. There's something called a baby monitor which films Maggie when I'm not in the room with her. Last night, not only did I see her sleeping but I saw you two smooching on my bed!" Amy laughs, smacking her hand on the pillow.

Ruel and I look at each other at the same time. His cheeks flush with red and I can imagine mine doing the same thing.

"I cant believe you saw that!" I tell Amy, rubbing my hands over my face.

"Oh trust me I shut it off before anything else happened."

Before anyone can something else, Ruel blurts out, "Nothing else happened. Don't worry."

I nod my head at Ruel's statement and Amy laughs again. "Well I'm glad! And of course I didn't mean to embarrass you guys, I just wanted to get a reaction out of you. I should probably be thanking you for taking care of my daughter last night!"

"It was no problem. I love watching Maggie!" I assure Amy.

All of a sudden I hear a knock at the door and when Ruel opens it I'm glad to see another set of familiar faces. Jenny and Kate burst through the door with what looks like three suitcases each. I'm puzzled as to why these women are carrying suitcases and question whether they've gone crazy.

"Why do you guys have suitcases?" I ask.

Jenny catches her breath and answers, "You didn't get my text message? Our flight got changed and leaves at 1:00 now. I packed up all your stuff and the rest of our belongings are in the bus waiting."

My heat drops at her words. Of course my flight got changed and of course my phone was dead when Jenny texted me. Of course I have to leave Ruel right now and of course I'm gonna be upset. The world just really loves working against me.

"But what about Amy?" Is all I manage to get out.

Amy looks at me with a warm smile. "My flight is tomorrow. Don't worry about me."

"Mom, why do you have our suitcases?" Ruel asks, changing the subject.

"We're leaving too. Even though we have different flights, I just assumed we could ride to the airport together to make it easier."

I'm relieved when Kate says this because now I don't have to say goodbye to Ruel just yet. Frankly, I don't know what I would say to Ruel if I had to say goodbye to him right now. There's so much I want to say to him, but that's for another conversation. I quickly reach for a suitcase from Jenny, say my goodbyes to Amy and Maggie, then head down to bus to go to the airport.