chapter 40

Soundcheck for tonight's show is done and meet & greet is in about an hour. Nothing much has happened with Ruel, and we've just been hanging out in my dressing room. Because of soundcheck, I need to fix my hair and get into my outfit for the show, and that takes up about most of my time.

I decide on wearing a black dress with a jean jacket and my air force one's. With my hair straightened all that's left to do is pick out my jewelry. I always have a hard time matching my jewelry to my outfit so I always ask Jenny for help. I would ask her tonight but she's lining everyone up for the meet and greet. Ruel always has great fashion taste so I decide to ask him.

"Hey what necklace do you think I should wear tonight?"

He looks up from his phone, analyzes all the necklaces in front of me and then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small box. "I was going to wait till after the show but I think you need it now more than ever."

I take the box from his hand and open it. My mouth drops as I pull out the necklace, that has a heart shaped charm attached to it.

"Oh my god it's beautiful." I say, admiring the piece of jewelry.

He gently takes the necklace from my hands and fiddles around with the heart. It pops open and sure enough, I see the picture Ruel took of us the night of the Australian Music Festival. The night we first met. The night everything happened.

The back of my brain reminds me of all the horrible stuff Nora about Ruel, but I push those thoughts out of the way. I tell myself that those rumors can't be true because the boy just bought me locket with our faces in it.

"I love it Ruel." I say, hugging him.

He unclips the locket and puts it on my neck. His touch gives me goosebumps and I turn around and to face him once he's done. I stare into his beautifully colored eyes and hope, literally pray that Nora was lying. I don't know what I would do without Ruel. I can't lose him.

Without a second thought, our lips collide and I feel his warm breathe on mine. His tongue grazes across mine and I can feel it getting hotter by the second. Kissing him felt electric, tingles being sent all across my body.

My heartbeat was racing as Ruel pulled me closer and moved us against the wall. Feelings more comfortable with each other, we were more passionate in the way we kissed. The taste of his chapstick took over my taste buds and we were lost in each other.

A knock came from the door and I jumped from Ruels hands. I picked up my hairbrush to make it seem like nothing happened when Jenny walked into the room.

"Madeline you have to go now. Meet and greet starts in five minutes." Jenny says, fixing her hair.

I let out a breath, thankful that Jenny didn't realize what Ruel and I were doing before she walked in.

Putting the brush down I say goodbye to Ruel and walk over to Jenny. I open the door and start heading down to the meet and greet.

Just as I leave I hear Jenny say, "You might wanna wipe the smudged lipstick off your face before your mom notices Ruel."

Dammit Jenny, of course she knows. I laugh at the thought of seeing Ruel with smudged lipstick on his face and can't help but blame myself for not noticing sooner. A pit in my stomach grows as I soon realize that after the show I'm meeting the two girls in the alleyway to find out the real truth. If that was my last time kissing Ruel, at least it was a good one.