Prolouge

Where am I?...  I felt a presence near me, whoever it was was staring at me intently.  I kept my breathing labored, and my heart slowed.  I know this gaze...  It made me feel dirty, I wanted to crawl out of my skin.

Seems you've finally woken up...

Hush, fox... concentrating on not being caught...

He sighed but remained silent.  Another person entered the space.  "Tobi! What are you doing?"

I finally felt his eyes leave me and felt relieved.  "Tobi's just watching.  Tobi is a good boy!"  His entire demeanor changed, and it was equally as disgusting as the real man.  "I'll go now!"

Who was that?

Madara Uchiha...  I felt as the hate filled my veins and opened my eyes, looking at Sasori.  "So... I've been brought to the lion's den... how unfortunate."

Sasori whirled around.  "So you're awake.  You should be grateful... you'd be dead if Zetsu hadn't brought you here."

I attempted to move, but it was painful.  I grimaced and then sighed, noting I'd lost muscle mass.  "How long ago was that?"

Sasori thought for a moment.  "Three months ago."

My heart sank.  Three months?  "I'm sorry I've placed you in such a position."  Itachi... his medicine...

Sasori came and placed glowing green hands on my shoulders.  "Broken bones have been mended, internal damage well it's as good as it's going to get, but it will still be sometime before you are able to leave."

I frowned.  "I'm leaving as soon as I can move properly."

Sasori chuckled.  "It will be sometime before that's possible.  The state you were brought in... you shouldn't be alive, Kunoichi..."

I gave him a long stare.  "Dying wasn't an option.  I have promises to keep."

He shook his head.  "You can't keep doing this... Pe-"

"What about me?"  We both looked to see Pein and Konan standing in the doorway.

I smiled at them.  "Hey, how have you been?"

He looked at me disapprovingly, and Sasori took that as his order to leave.  He came and sat on the bed.  "What were you thinking?"

I looked away from him, unable to stand the hurt in his eyes.  "About mass slaughter, which went brilliantly... for the most part."

Konan grabbed my hands.  "Kunoichi! Don't you understand?"  I looked around the room.  How unfortuante... no windows...  "Look at me."  I reluctantly turned my gaze to her.  "You should be dead.  Sasori said that your internal organs were torn to shreds, bones were broken, and your heart and lungs were so badly damaged...  You will never truly recover from the damage that was caused."

I sighed.  "I know, but to me... it was necessary.  My only regret is that Orochimaru wasn't there, so I could end him as well."

Pein pulled me up by my collar, which set my body on fire.  "Don't speak of this as though it's nothing.  You could have... should have died."

I met his gaze, unwavering.  "For the harm they caused.  It would've been worth it."

I knew my words hurt him, but he knew I meant them.  "So... what now?"

He laid me back in the bed gently.  "Now, I recover... I'll be laying low for a while, but do me the favor of keeping Madara... or Tobi as you call him as far away from me as possible."

They exchanged a glance.  "You haven't asked about the Leaf."

I blinked at them.  "Any news will only worry me further at this point. It can wait til I return."  They left me to rest, but instead, I worked on moving my limbs. The pain was almost unbearable.

Thank you for being there, Kurama. I know I asked a lot of you in doing that...

What you did was foolish, but there was no way to stop you. Was there?

I suppose not...

You survived. That's what's important, but they were telling the truth.  Especially since I can not heal this body, some of the damage is irreversible.

I know, but what is done is done. I just have to train my body to its new limits... when it is appropriate.

What will you do about Madara?

What can I do?  I'm defenseless at this point... I have to trust Pein to keep him busy while I'm here.

And the Leaf?

My first stop when we leave here...  I wonder what exactly we will be returning to...  My heart twisted at the thought, but I had to push my emotions to the background.  For now, let's focus on getting the hell out of here...