Chapter 23

I sat on the windowsill, looking out at nothing.   Itachi was below me sitting on the floor, back against the wall, reading.  Everyone was finally getting along around us, and I felt... warm.  It's been a while since I've felt this...

Something was thrown at me, and I caught it without turning my head.  "Hmmm?"

Chihiro giggled.  "Look at it."

I looked down at my hand and smiled softly.  It was a golden hairpin with purple flowers.  "She would be happy... to see us like this."

I looked up at her as she smiled.  "I found it while cleaning, thought you would like it."

Minato sighed.  "It's been a long time..."

Itachi plucked the pin from my hands.  "You two wore this at the funeral. We stood with you... boys in tow, I think."

I narrowed my eyes at him.  "Exactly how long have you been stalking me, Uchiha?  You even remember hair pieces?"  He shrugged, handing it back to me.  "I think... things would be somewhat different if she were here."

Chihiro giggled.  "Yeah... you'd actually have an adult to reign you in." 

I scowled at her and then smiled softly.  "She was a bit outgoing herself... maybe my partner in crime."

Everyone who didn't know what we were talking about looked confused.  Aya shifted uncomfortably.  "Uh... who?"

I smiled brightly.  "Kushina! Our mom."

Ryo looked at me curiously.  "You had... a mom?"

I smiled wistfully, remembering.  "For a short time, yes... much too short."

Hinata turned to me.  "I never met her."

I shook my head.  "None of you did... I lost her the same night I became a Jinchuriki."

Minato nodded.  "It was unfortunate, but all of you would have loved her, I'm sure."

Itachi smirked slightly.  "I always thought that's were you're personality came from... when I first met her."

I saddened.  "Not me, but Naruto... he may look like Minato, but his personality is all her."

Izumi still looked confused.  "You met her, Itachi?"  He nodded.  "But..."

I sighed.  "He's my personal stalker... and I may have stayed in a lot of trouble..."

Chihiro smirked.  "We stayed in a lot of trouble... I can't say I miss the stalking."

I gaped.  "But it's endearing... how else could we push past our limits and be carried home."

She giggled.  "That's your thing."

I sighed.  "That may be true."

She shook her head.  "Really, Itachi... I don't know why you put up with her." He didn't reply, but his amusement was palpable.

Izumi watched us.  "So you two really are together now?"

I looked back out of the window, so Ryo responded.  "I mean... I know they're always together, but the kisses really should give it away.  Most cold, affectionate couple, I know."

Izumi blushed.  "I just thought... they were faking it to make me uncomfortable."

Ryo laughed.  "Even you can't give yourself that much credit, but I don't know how it all started... it just happened one day."

Minato smiled softly.  "It was after they separated... after the wedding."

I rolled my eyes.  "Keeping tabs on my life, Minato?"