Chapter 10

I woke up in pain and grimaced as I rolled out of bed.  You'd think after week, I'd be used to this...

Kurama smirked.  You push yourself to your limit every day... what do you expect...  I rolled my eyes and went to shower.  The water felt like pins and needles on my skin, so I made it quick.  Since leaving the hospital, I spent everyday training with my friends and family, only stopping to eat or take short breaks when they said to.  I didn't complain much. They were ensuring that I didn't overdo it.

I looked in the mirror for the first time, noticing that scars were missing.  I looked closer and then looked at my back.  Tsunade's work...  I put on my clothes and tied up my hair so I could begin the day.  I walked out into the darkness of the morning and went to a nearby clearing.  I sat on a tree stump and began to meditate until I felt someone watching me.

I opened my eyes, not quite breaking my concentration.  "Can I help you, Shisui?"

He stepped from the trees.  "How have you been?"

I spared him a cursory glance.  "I'm here."

He chuckled.  "Aren't we all..."  He watched me for a moment.  "Is there any way I can help?"

I thought a moment.  "No funny business?"

He shook his head.  "Strictly training."

I nodded and rose to face him.  "Let's do it then."

He looked around the clearing before pulling out weights.  "Let's run."

I smiled and took them from him.  "To?"

He watched as I strapped them on.  "Until you can't."  I nodded, and we took to the trees, I noticed I was lagging behind and picked up the pace.  "Don't wear yourself out... you need to build your endurance, too."

I frowned but nodded.  We flew through the trees for 2 hours around the village before he stopped.  I landed on the ground beside him and rested my hands on my knees, panting.  "Did better than I expected."

I glared at him.  "Not good enough."

He shook his head.  "Better than the last time I saw you."

I heaved a breath.  "Yes."  He sat beneath a tree and looked into the canopy.  I sat opposite of him.  "Why are you helping?"

He glanced at me.  "After, I jumped from the cliff... you did the same for me."

I blinked.  "So..."

He chuckled.  "Just let me help you."  I sighed and closed my eyes.  "We'll spar once we make it back."  I hummed in response and took a short nap.

I heard him stand and opened my eyes, following his lead.  We made it back to the clearing and stood opposite of each other.  He waited until I took a fighting stance, and then he disappeared.  I felt him approach from behind and dodged, and then he began his assault.  It was all I could do to avoid his attacks, but I was keeping up.

Training with him was different. Unlike the others, he wasn't pulling punches. He was pushing me to anticipate and protect myself from his attacks or face the consequences.  The sun was high by the time we finished.  He nodded in approval as he sat in the grass.

I collapsed and lay in the grass.  I felt others approaching and looked over.  Minato looked down at me.  "Okay?"

I nodded and closed my eyes.  "Just need to rest a bit."

"You kept up well."

I chuckled.  "It was that or get beaten to a pulp."  I felt at ease and fell asleep almost instantly.  I felt a tap on my head.  "Hmmmm."

"You need to go to Tsunade."  Minato was amused.

I sighed.  "Can't the old hag wait?"

He pulled me to a sitting position.  "Remember your agreement."

I pouted.  "Fine..."  I stood and stretched, noticing Shisui had left.  "Let's go."

Minato escorted me to her office and knocked.  "Enter."

We walked in, and she looked up from her papers.  "How are you feeling?"

I adopted a stoic expression.  "Fine."  Minato stepped out as she rounded the desk, but she continued to the door.  "Where are we going?"

She glanced back at me.  "An exam room."  I followed her into the hospital to a brightly lit medic's office.  I removed my shirt and slid onto the table.  She placed her hands on my back.  "I know you've been training.  Any chest pain during?"

I shook my head.  "I tire easily compared to before."

She removed her hands.  "To be expected, and the pain?"

I shrugged my shirt back on.  "Worse when I wake up, but eases throughout the day."

She nodded.  "You're still recovering, I'm impressed with your progress..."

I searched her eyes.  "But?"

She sighed.  "It seems your other organs are slowing in progress as compared to before... it may be because you are putting your energy elsewhere, but I can't be sure."

I pursed my lips.  "But they're still healing."

"Yes."

I smiled.  "Then... that's good."  I slid from the table and went to the door.  "Thank you, Lady Tsunade."

I exited the building and was stopped in my search for food.  "Kunoichi..."

My heart skipped a beat.  "Itachi."

He sighed.  "How are you doing?"

I met his gaze, my heart breaking seeing his sadness.  "I'm doing well... how about you?"  I didn't need to ask, I saw his face was thinner, the lines under his eyes were more prominent, his hair was lack-luster and limp.

He averted his gaze.  "I'm... okay."

I sighed.  "Come, let's eat something."  He blinked in surprise, and I rolled my eyes and pulled him to the ramen stand.  I ordered at sat next to him, observing my hands.  "Itachi... it's never my intention to hurt you."

He looked at me curiously.  "Then..."

I met his gaze.  "This isn't the place to discuss it, but please know, I don't like to see you hurting and not taking care of yourself."

He watched my eyes.  "When can we discuss it then?"

Teuchi placed the ramen in front of us, as I thought.  I missed him, his scent, his touch, I couldn't deny that I loved him.  "Meet me tonight."

He blinked.  "Where?"  I simply smirked and began to eat.  When he noticed I wouldn't answer, he nodded and did the same.  Hopefully... it goes well... hopefully, he'll understand...