Chapter 24

Per usual, someone came knocking at the door while we were talking, and I sighed. "What could you men possibly want?"

Ryo came through the door. "You've been gossiping long enough."

Aya stood. "Really? Can you not keep yourselves entertained for more than 10 minutes."

Itachi hovered in the doorway, and I approached. "Were you being antisocial again, Uchiha?"

He shrugged and placed a hand on the small of my back, leading me away from the room. "Where will you sleep tonight?"

"Haven't given it much thought." He shook his head, smirking.

Minato came out of the kitchen. "You two leaving?"

Itachi nodded, and I frowned. "This is a setup. Minato... save me."

I put on my teary-eyed distressed face, but he just laughed. "You're safe with him, as always."

I huffed. "Yup, real fatherly there."

He chuckled. "Not like you're putting up much of a fight."

I sighed. "This would be true, but..." I got out of Itachi's hold and went back to the rest of the group. "Seems I'm being spirited away... see you all tomorrow, I guess."

Everyone exchanged knowing glances, except Izumi, who gaped. "Lord Fourth will just let you go with him?"

I sighed dramatically. "It would seem he's under Itachi's spell."

Chihiro scoffed. "More like it's better than you two sneaking through windows."

I scowled at her. "It's more fun that way.  Besides, windows are far more accessible than doors." I walked toward hers. "Quick demonstration."

I quickly opened it and jumped through. I smirked and waved as I heard Chihiro call out. "Itachi... she left..."

Traitor... I ran toward the village and felt him behind me. I sped up, but he was in front of me instantly.

I smiled up at him. "Hey there... nice weather we're having."

He shook his head, smiling. "Always the hard way with you." I 'hn'd in response as he took my hand. We were suddenly in his apartment, and I looked up at him curiously. "Less trouble this way."

I pinched his side. "Tired of chasing me?"

He pulled me closer. "Never." He kissed my lips and pulled away. "You need to rest."

I sighed. "Shower first." I went to his room and pulled open my dedicated drawers and was surprised, so I backtracked. "Where did these come from?" He looked at me curiously. "New clothes?"

He smirked. "Seemed like they suited you."

I gaped. "I haven't even used what you had before." He shrugged. "Fine..." I padded into the bathroom and let the water run over me. Doesn't hurt now... I finished and stepped out, looking into the mirror. I traced Tsunade's incision a long cut from my neck to the bottom of my diaphragm. It seemed as though it would only a breath of a scar.

There was a knock at the door. "Alive?"

I giggled. "Admiring Tsunade's handiwork, actually." I felt his embarrassment and quickly put on a large t-shirt and shorts. I pulled open the door and smirked as he stood in the doorway. "Wanna see?"

He blushed and looked away. "I'm going to take a shower."

I playfully pouted. "Whatever you say, Uchiha."

He simply shook his head and went into the bathroom. I sat on the couch and brushed out my hair. It was now well past my waist curled, I couldn't imagine having it straight. Seemed it was curlier than before splitting because though it looked shorter, it definitely wasn't. I thought about Chihiro's hair, though I'd cut off as little as I could. It was now just past her shoulders rather than flowing down her back. I should ask her how that feels...

I looked up to see Itachi staring at me. "I should cut it."

He frowned. "Why?"

I fluffed it and then held strands in both hands. "There's more of it than me!"

He chuckled. "If it makes you happy."

I looked at him, surprised. "You didn't want me to cut it before..."

He ran his fingers through it and kissed the top of my head. "Still don't, but I can't stop you."

I blushed, I liked the way his hands felt in it. "I'll think about it." I pulled my head away and set to braiding it in one long braid. I couldn't place the look in his eyes. It made my face feel hot. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He shrugged. "Just am."

I stuck my tongue out at him and stood when I finished. "Is Mikoto still next door?"

He nodded. "Her and dad..."

I nodded, lowering my gaze. "I understand."

He pulled my chin up. "It's not your fault."

I sighed. "I don't like her being alone, Itachi. She's like a mother to me and between your dad... and Sasuke..."

He wrapped her arms around me, resting his chin on my head. "She was heartbroken when Sasuke left, but she said she saw it coming." I looked up at him. "Apparently, when I was in the hospital after you left, he was becoming more and more frustrated. He and Naruto went at it a few times, and he began to distance himself from everyone."

I pulled back. "He felt like he wasn't becoming strong fast enough."

He nodded. "Especially with Naruto growing so fast... Jiraiya is a good mentor."

I chuckled. "He's perverted, but yes... he has value as a teacher. It was never my intention for him to make Sasuke feel inferior."

He frowned. "I should have..."

I shook my head. "Kakashi taught him Chidori. He was growing... it's just Naruto... he was catching up." Itachi looked at me curiously. "Think about... Sasuke was the best at the top of his class while Naruto barely skimmed by. Naruto had and still has a lot of growing to do, but he grew from being the worst to being Sasuke's equal."

Itachi thought for a moment. "That's true."

I smiled softly. "Who would think little team 7 would be the protégé of the Sannin, but here we are. Sakura... even though she was neglected, she too has grown tremendously under Tsunade, though I would've seen a different direction for her myself."

"How so?"

"She could be a superb genjutsu user, still could with the right teacher."

He chuckled. "You never did like wasted potential."

I smirked. "Those of us who are underrated are destined to be on top one day, just gotta give us a chance."