Chapter 15

Itachi followed me into the music shop.  "Will you never give up your stalkerish ways, Uchiha?"

He shrugged.  "I'm around."

I ran my fingers over the instruments as I passed.  "She didn't come here..."

He shook his head.  "Avoided it until..."

I sighed.  "The change in her... it worries me.  I was the rash, outspoken one..."

He sighed.  "Though you can be hard to approach, p-"

I smirked at him.  "Hard to approach?"

He smiled softly.  "Yes.  Sometimes, even in the most serious matters, you act aloof. In addition, you have a smart mouth and your not so subtle threats."

I shrugged.  "Maybe..."  I went to the back and looked at the floor.  "You and Isamu have been doing well to keep this place up... Have you seen or heard anything about Neji?"

Itachi thought for a moment.  "I'm not sure if he made it to Chunin, but nothing after the attack."

I nodded.  "I should check on him."

Itachi nodded.  "Where were you last night?"

I looked over at him.  "What?"

He watched me carefully.  "I went with Minato to help train this morning.  They said you didn't return.  That's when we saw Shisui, and he said you weren't in the field."

I lowered my gaze.  "There were... complications last night after the others left... I went to Ibiki's, then to see Tsunade this morning."

He gently placed an arm on my sleeve.  "What complications?"  I sat at the piano and ran my fingers over the keys.  "Kunoichi..."

I played a few notes.  "Madara..."

He blinked in confusion.  "Uchiha?"  I nodded as his features darkened.  "Why di-"

I sighed.  "He was here... then he left, no need to send anyone after him."

He pulled my hands away from the keys.  "Be honest with me... what did he do?"

I looked into his eyes.  "Basically, he still hasn't gotten over the past, but I'm too weak to put up a fight the way I used to, so he had no intentions for coming for me just yet."

He tightened his grip on my hands, attempting to calm his fury.  "Then he left..."  I nodded.  "Why go to Ibiki's?"

I shrugged.  "He's not prone to overreacting and allows me to sift through my thoughts.  I'm not comfortable going to Minato's right now, I didn't want Hinata, Ryo, and Aya in danger because we stay outside the village... and you... may or may not have taken convincing not to go searching for him.  Besides, like I said earlier, I wasn't really sure where we stood."

His hands began to relax.  "You all should relocate to the village."

I pouted and looked down at the keys.  "But I don't wanna."

He pulled my chin so that I was looking at him.  "You know as well as I do. It's not safe..."

I averted my gaze.  "I know..."

He chuckled.  "Stubborn as always."  He pulled me into a hug.  "I need to know you're safe, Kunoichi. Who knows what I'll do if something were to happen."

I scowled into his chest.  "No fair!"

He released me.  "Good, cause we all decided this morning it was probably for the best."

I narrowed my eyes.  "Figures."  I turned back to the keys and began to play as I heard him open a book.  I didn't stop until I saw he closed it again and looked at him.  "Let's check out my new place, I suppose."

He smiled and led me out into the apartments.  I looked back at the music shop.  That is one of the few buildings that has stood the test of time... it's seen a lot over the years.  I looked up at Itachi.  I wonder why Chihiro hasn't been there... she used to like music too...

As we were walking, we were stopped by a shopkeeper.  "Lady Kunoichi..."

I paused and looked at her as she approached.  "Yes?"

She smiled and handed me some flowers.  "We're happy you're alive and well."

I looked up at Itachi curiously, who nodded.  "Uh... thank you?"

She giggled as I took the flowers from her.  "Please feel free to stop by anytime."

As she turned to leave, I looked around and noticed that the scorn filled flares that I'd grown accustomed to were no longer there.  I blinked and turned back to Itachi.  "So... they needed to think I was dead?  That's not fucked up at all."

He shrugged.  "You're one of the heroes from the attacks. Saving Lord Third is no small matter."

We started walking again.  "No offense, but that wasn't my goal, I wanted to kill Orochimaru... Hiruzen was just there first."

He chuckled.  "Why must you always deny the good that comes from your actions?"

I looked down at the flowers.  "Because it's the truth."

He nodded.  "That may be so, but it came to benefit others.  Intentional or not."

I sighed as we neared our destination.  "I guess... still took me practically dying, but whatever."  He simply shook his head and led me to a door.  "You really are a stalker. How do you know where they are?  Hell, I don't know where they are."

He sighed and knocked.  Aya opened the door and beamed.  "Kunoichi, this one is so much nicer!"

I frowned.  "Our cabin was nice."  I walked in and was mildly surprised. It was bigger than the last one they stayed in, to say the least.  I sat at the island and smirked. "I swear, just refuse to settle down. "

They only unpacked the essentials, and everything else was neatly stacked in a corner.  Hinata appeared from what I assumed was a bedroom.  "Kunoichi-sensei, we will be leaving soon again, no reason to unpack."

I smiled at her.  "Three weeks."  She returned my smile, and I looked at her curiously.  "You've all been here what... a year?  Haven't you gotten attached?"

She shook her head.  "We've just been waiting to leave. The Leaf is nice, but..."

I smiled softly.  "Our freedom's better."  She nodded and disappeared again.  I thought for a moment then followed behind her, Itachi stayed in the kitchen.  "Hinata?  What do you think of Chihiro lately?"

She looked at me over her shoulder and lowered her gaze.  "She... didn't take your dying well... then started spending time with that Uchiha girl.  I usually leave when she shows up, but Chihiro..."

I nodded.  "I'd hate to think one person could possibly have that much influence over her... I'm missing something, I'm sure."

Hinata nodded.  "She's been distancing herself from us, but we watch her as we can."  I went to the window and was a bit disappointed by the view.  It's no fun to stare at a wall, but I need to form a plan... fast...