Chapter 31

I played with Itachi's fingers as my headache receded. I removed my gloves and compared the sizes. "Giant."

He laced his fingers through mine. "No, you're just little."

I pouted. "No, I'm normal."

He kissed my hand. "You may still be under the influence. I've been meaning to ask... did you really spend that much time with Pein and Konan?" I looked at him curiously. "You never wore nail polish before coming back this last time."

I smiled softly. "Konan insisted, and it stuck... not that anyone would see it as I am now."

He sighed. "It's nice."

I blushed. "Really?"

He nodded. "You did the others yesterday?" I nodded. "You did well, Konan's a good teacher."

I looked into his eyes. "Do you see everything?"

He shrugged. "No, not everything."

I went back to playing with his fingers. "I miss them... I'm sure they're worried."

He twirled my hair between his fingers with his free hand. "They know you're okay and recovering."

I blinked up at him. "How did you..." He smiled his secret smile, and I kissed his lips. "Thank you. You should let me do yours."

He shook his head. "No."

I smiled at him. "Why? Pein wears it... well, all the Akatsuki do, but yeah."

He pecked my nose. "No." I sighed, defeated. "How are you feeling?"

I tilted my head. "Better, but not ready to kick the fox's ass yet."

He raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

I frowned. "He could've stepped in before you got hurt."

He shrugged. "You were fast, even I was surprised."

I pursed my lips. "He has an ass beating coming."

Itachi poked my forehead. "Language."

I pouted. "He deserves it." I whined. He sighed and got up. I took the opportunity to change my clothes. As I set my belt and weapons pouch on the dresser, I smelled something delicious. I followed the scent. As I sat at the counter, I rested my head in my arms as I watched him.

He looked at me curiously. "What?" I smiled and shrugged, so he resumed what he was doing. He sat a plate in front of me, fish, rice, and vegetables. He sat beside me with his own.

I picked up my chopsticks and tasted it. "What happened to the sushi?"

He shrugged. "Left it at the other apartment."

I frowned. "I could have gone and got it... you didn't have to cook." He reached over and poked my forehead. I rubbed it as Aya's words circled in my head. "Do you think I'm spoiled?"

He looked at me concerned. "No. Why?"

I chewed slowly before answering. "It's what Aya said."

He tugged at my hair. "Ignore her."

I looked over at him. "You do a lot of things... that seems very uncommon. She said... you're the best..."

He sighed. "It's not true, but yes... our relationship is far different from theirs." I looked at him curiously. "They wanted to talk to me because apparently they keep comparing us."

I tilted my head. "Why?"

He shrugged. "They were saying if I would do less so they wouldn't have to work so hard."