Chapter 4

I was in bed when I woke up, wrapped in a comforting warmth and scent.  I looked into Itachi's face and snuggled into his chest.  I felt him sigh.  "Awake already?"

I looked back up at him.  "This is the most I've slept in a long while."  Concern crossed his features, but he said nothing.  The door began to open, and he was in the chair instantly, making me miss his warmth.

We looked at the door as Tsunade entered.  "We've found matches..."  She frowned when she saw Itachi.  "You're not supposed to be here."

He moved to stand, but I shook my head.  "He can stay."

She turned her frown to me.  "One visitor at a time, for a short time."

I sighed.  "Very well."

She waited until Itachi left the room.  "He's usually good about following instructions."

I shrugged.  "I bring out the rebel in everyone."

She chuckled.  "It would seem so.  We'll perform the first set of surgeries today and will keep you comfortable until the next."

I thought about her words.  "As in, have me sleep until you finish the second.  I don't want that."

She blinked in surprise.  "The pain and trauma wi-"

I shook my head.  "I'll endure."

She frowned.  "It's not like you can refuse after we start."

I blinked at her.  "This is true, but I'm asking you not to do that."

She thought for a moment, never breaking eye contact.  "We will assess your condition... and make a decision from there."

I frowned and looked out at the morning sky.  "I agreed to what you found to be necessary... just... if it comes to that, don't keep any of my friends or family away.  I have a feeling you'll be having visitors to the village soon."  She blinked.  "They trust Itachi and Chihiro, if no one else."

She sighed.  "Very well... are you ready?"

I looked at her again.  "Does Minato know?"

She nodded.  "He's waiting outside."

I heaved a breath.  "Then... let's go."  Preperation for surgery was excruciating. The IVs and other lines burned. When they went to clean my skin, it was like they were scraping it with sand paper.  I was fighting the pain and to maintain my mental walls, and I was losing.

As I was weakening, a beeping in the background began to speed up.  Tsunade rushed into the room as black dots began to invade my vision.  "Relax, Kunoichi..."  I felt something cool in my arm, and the world went black.

...

I was looking out at the ocean from on top of a cliff, a hand grabbed mine, and lazily began to trace circles into it.  I smiled at Itachi.  "Do you like it?"

He smiled at me, I admired his face and the happiness in his eyes.  "I enjoy every experience with you."

My smile widened, and I quickly kissed his cheek, then saw the colors of the sky change out of the corner of my eye.  I turned and gazed at the sunset. The warm hues of orange red overtook the sky.  I also noticed some purplish tint, against the darkening water it was breathtaking.  Itachi pulled me closer as I spoke in wonder.  "It's beautiful..."

He chuckled.  "It is."  I looked up at him, looking at me.  Our lips met, and I felt the now familiar warmth begin to spread through my body.  Suddenly, there was a menacing presence nearby by and we pulled away from each to look.  My heart sank as I saw the man I hated most.  Madara Uchiha...

He smirked.  "Well, isn't this lovely..."  I jumped up as he began to approach, but he was behind Itachi already.  I turned as he sunk his blade into his spine, screaming.

...

"More sedative!  Kunoichi! You have to calm down!"  All I could feel was pain.  I was tied down and struggling with all my might.  I have to get free... Itachi...

"Lady Tsunade!"  I got an arm loose and swung wildly.

"Hold her down!" A woman bellowed.  I felt something stab me and a burning, in the same instant I felt something cool going up my arm. Then, I felt a warm gush on my chest. "Shit! We need blood."  I couldn't move and panicked more, but it was short-lived as darkness reclaimed me.

It felt like something was sitting on my chest when I woke up gasping.  I felt hands pulling me back down into the bed.  "Kunoichi... it's okay..."

I looked toward the voice and searched his face.  "You look like shit, Minato."

He chuckled, clearly tired.  "You gave us all a good scare, brat.  And watch your language."

I tried to sigh but clutched my chest, now supressing a cough.  "Fuck..."  Minato glared at me.  "Sorry... so, are all these surgeries complete?"

Minato looked dismayed.  "Maybe Lady Tsunade should talk to you about it."

As though she heard her name she came into the room and froze.  "How are you even awake?"

I frowned.  "What's that supposed to mean?"

She closed the door behind Sakura, who was trailing behind her.  "For your size, the amount of sedative we had to use was unheard of.  You almost killed yourself in surgery and certainly shouldn't be awake now."

I thought for a moment.  "I don't recall."

She sighed and walked over to me, placing her hands on my chest.  She noted my sigh of relief as she began to infuse chakra into me.  "You're in pain."  I just watched her.  "Seems your new heart and lungs are doing better than expected."

I frowned.  "Than expected?"

She shook her head.  "You're healing far faster than anticipated.  Maybe the Nine Ta-"

I shook my head.  "His healing powers are not as effective on this body..."

She pulled her hands away, and I grimaced.  "You should take some medicine."

I shook my head again.  "This is bearable, but... you aren't done?"

She sat on the bed.  "We couldn't keep you sleep... for some reason, your tolerance is already high and would only increase if we did."

I smiled.  "Then I can stay awake.  What's next?"

She frowned.  "I was considering reconstructing, but..."  I waited.  "After the transplant, it seems your body is choosing to rebuild your other organs now. It's a medical mystery."

I saw something in her eyes.  "But my chakra network is still shot."

She looked surprised.  "I'm sorry to say, that's damage that I can't repair."

I gave her a reassuring look.  "You've done all that you can Tsunade, and for that, I'm grateful. So far as my chakra... that's something I will need to deal with on my own."

She looked perplexed.  "How?"

I looked out of the window.  "It seems the Uchiha will be safe for some time yet, I have my ways... at least I hope I do."

Minato shifted uncomfortably.  "You'll need to leave."

I nodded.  "In order to heal as much as I can, yes, but don't worry too much... I have no intentions of going alone this time."  Looks like I'll be uprooting my friends again...