Chapter 13

I couldn't sleep, so I busied myself with various books that Ibiki had.  When the sun finally began to peak over the horizon, he came into the living room.  "What should we do?"

I shrugged.  "For now, there's nothing I can do."

He sat on the couch beside me.  "You don't have to deal with him alone."

I lowered my gaze.  "I won't have any of you hurt or killed by him... I would never forgive myself."

He sighed.  "Well, you certainly can't hide out here all day."

I put a hand on my chest playfully but winced because of where the stitches were undone.  "Yeah... I should go get yelled at by Tsunade."  I got up and followed him out of the door.

He walked with me as far as the interrogation building and bid me farewell.  I sighed and went to meet my fate.  I knocked lightly, half hoping she wouldn't be there, but it was for nothing.  "Enter."

I walked in, slowly avoiding her gaze.  "You're he-... what's that?"

I heaved a sigh.  "I may have pulled some loose while training."

She frowned.  "Let's go."  I followed her to an exam room and removed my shirt.  I heard her curse softly and looked down more stitches were now undone, but there was no blood spilling.  "You should be more careful."  She went to a cabinet and pulled out supplies, then handed me a pill.  "You'll need this."

I shook my head.  "I can take the pain."

She sighed and put some liquid that stung on the incision.  She pulled out a needle and thread, giving me a questioning look.  I nodded and clenched my teeth together when she began.  Maybe I should have considered that medicine...

After a few moments, she was finished.  "No training for two days."

I pouted.  "I understand."  She shook her head and went to cleaning the area.  "Thank you, Lady Tsunade." I didn't wait for her reply before I left the room.

I wandered to the Hokage heads and looked down on the village.  It almost fascinated me, the way people went about their day to day lives.   I was almost envious, to the point I had considered giving up the life of a shinobi and to be a musician.

"Enjoying the view?"

I blinked up at the Third Hokage.  "Just people watching."

He stood over me smoking his pipe.  "You are one of the reasons they can live so peacefully."  I looked at him curiously, and he smiled.  "I remember a young girl, no family, used to run through those streets causing trouble, yes, but also bringing joy to those around her."

I looked back over the village.  "That was some time ago... a lot has happened since then."

He chuckled.  "Yes... we did everything we could to get the Nine Tails out of the village when he went on a rampage, it was you who chose to house him to keep those you love safe and you have been paying for it ever since."

I shrugged.  "Minato's alive, Naruto and Sasuke lived relatively normal lives... not all bad."

"No, not all bad, but a great burden for anyone to bear... especially a young child."

I thought for a moment.  "You were one of the few kind people afterward."

He sighed.  "You saved the village..."

I shook my head.  "I saved my family and friends... the village just benefited from the fact."

He took a long draw from his pipe.  "Regardless, you are an important part of it, whether you realize it or not.  Without you, nothing would be as they are now."

I chuckled darkly.  "Could possibly be better."

"No... even if we survived, Danzo would still be alive.  He may have gotten everything he wanted and more.  The Uchiha may have rebelled against the village... losing many lives in the process.  Minato would have died sealing away the Nine Tails.  I would very well have died the day of the attack all because I wouldn't hear your warning.  Without your intervention, whether you realize it or not, many tragedies may have occurred."

I sighed.  "What are you getting at, Old Man?"

He chuckled.  "Nothing, it's just that I've never gotten the chance to really talk to you.  I took the opportunity and am not disappointed."

I scoffed.  "Aren't men your age supposed to impart some profound wisdom or something..."

He laughed.  "Yes, I suppose... just don't think that the ones you love are better off without you, Kunoichi. You have done and will do great things.  It would be a shame if they hadn't had you here, with them, pushing them to be their best selves."

I met his gaze and saw he truly meant what he said.  "Thanks, old man."

He nodded and slowly began to walk away.  I thought over his words and found there was truth to them.  He must have spoken with Itachi... I will strangle him...