Chapter 39

By the time we reached our destination, I was feeling the day's travels and cursed under my breath.

Kisame chuckled.  "Don't push it, brat."  I scowled at him, and we went into a restaurant/brothel of sorts.  "Why here?"

I didn't reply as we took a table, and soon an exquisitely under dressed young lady came up to us, all smiles.  Her eyes rested on Itachi, who was looking around.  "Mmmmm.... what can I do for you, sir?"

He ignored her as I addressed her.  "Three of whatever your special is tonight and Lady Keada, please."

She turned to me, clearly displeased.  "And why would I do that?"

I smirked.  "Tell her a temperamental child is getting in the way of your... duties."  She frowned and put a hand on Itachi's shoulder but retracted instantly as a thread of chakra wrapped around her wrist.  "I believe you may need that, do as you were told."

She was furious and looked at him again.  "Well, if there is any way I can make your night more enjoyable, please let me know."

As she walked away, Kisame smiled.  "Possessive much?"

I shook my head.  "Not a good fit for him... I'm more than willing to allow him to explore, but with the right people."

Kisame looked at Itachi, I recognized the glint in his eyes.  "What about you?"

Itachi was still observing the place.  "Not interested."

Kisame frowned.  "He's not any fun."

I shrugged as another shapely, but older woman approached.  "Ah, Lady Kunoichi, thought it was you."  She looked at my companions.  "Not here for the entertainment boys?"

I gave her a steely look.  "They have me for company. They need nothing more."

She smiled.  "Two grown men and a young girl... sounds entertaining.  You couldn't be considering my offer finally?"

I leaned forward.  "I deal in blood, not sex, but you know that already."

She frowned.  "How disappointing... the band of killer shinobi then."  I nodded.  "They haven't come here. It seems they're looking for a scroll."

I tilted my head.  "What scroll?"

She giggled and glanced at Itachi.  "For that, you pay a fee."  I arched an eyebrow.  "Let my girl have the boy for the night... she has taken a liking to him."

I looked at Itachi, who shook his head once.  "No."

She sighed.  "Then... what are you offering?"  I shrugged, and she thought a moment.  "Then you, our patrons, do enjoy your performances."

I rolled my eyes.  "That comes at a higher price than this, and you know it."

She was becoming frustrated.  "You come asking questions with nothing in return."  The first girl returned with our food, looking expectant.  "You eat... maybe we can come to an agreement."

I nodded, and she sauntered away, Itachi looked at me.  "Performances?"

I met his gaze.  "Yes."

He frowned.  "What kind of performances?"

I smiled sweetly.  "Music with a little genjutsu laced in for sparkle."

He was clearly upset about it, and Kisame nudged my shoulder.  "Damn... I thought I'd get a show tonight."

I rolled my eyes.  "Stop making matters worse... besides... I don't need her information anymore."  He followed my gaze to the door, and four shinobi walked in, two men, two women.

He whistled softly.  "Good call."

I watched as they were seated and swarmed by girls.  "Typical..."  Soon, most of them left, looking upset.  I saw both girls and a man had one I their lap.  "Kisame... you just may get your fight sooner..."

The lone shinobi looked about the room, and I set to nibbling on my food.  Soon, Lady Keade returned.  "Okay... another offer."  I looked up at her, expectant, and she tilted her head toward the table.  "Seems tonight is your lucky night. He's taken an interest in you."

I set down my chopsticks as Itachi gave her a deadly glare.  "No."

She sighed exasperated.  "Then I have nothing for you."

I smiled sweetly.  "Thanks anyway."  She stormed from our table to theirs, and I took Itachi's hand.  When we leave... he will follow.

He didn't respond as I waved over a girl.  "Pack this up for us, please... it seems we've lost our appetites."

Kisame frowned as our food was taken away.  "I was eating that."

I put a hand on his shoulder.  "You could always stay."

He looked at the other table.  "Staring like that?  No, I'll go with you."

I paid, and they took the boxes as we exited.  The first girl stopped us at the door.  "Leaving so soon..."  She was reaching for Itachi but glanced at me as I waited for her to make contact, and her hand fell to her side.

I walked past her, and they followed.  "Did our presence bother you?"  A deep voice cut through the night, and we kept walking.  "I'm talking to you, girl."

At that, I turned.  "Seems you don't know the difference between workers and a patron... I thought leaving would clear up matters."

He chuckled, assessing the men beside me.  "I know the difference... I just thought if I offered the right price..."

I tilted my head.  "And that was?"

He smiled.  "She didn't tell you?  Could've saved this misunderstanding."

I turned again.  "I'm not so easily bought.  Have a good night."

He was in front of me when I turned.  "You won't hear the offer?"

I walked past him.  "No."

He grabbed my arm, and Kisame had a hand on his wrist.  "The girl said, no, or can't you hear?"

I was released, and Itachi stepped between us.  "I would hate to have to kill your friends."

I looked past them and saw his team approaching.  "Keiji! You aren't going after another one, are you?"

He frowned at them.  "And if I am?"

One of the women spoke.  "Look at her... she's clearly a child.  Leave them be."

He turned to face me again.  "How old are you, girl?"

I shrugged and walked away again.  "Let's go, you two."  That's when I heard the struggle and quickly formed a barrier between us and the rest of his group.

He smirked.  "So a shinobi as well."

My barrier was hit with jutsu.  Earth, water, lightning...  He jumped away from them and started forming hand signs.  "Wind-style..."

Itachi formed his own, using the wind to strengthen his Phoenix Flower Jutsu.  My barrier broke under the assault and the man named Keiji was pushed back to his entourage.  We stood in the middle of the street, facing each other.

Kisame was delighted.  "This will be fun..."