Chapter 11

I sat in a cherry blossom tree playing a song that had been forming in my head since before the attack. I didn't stop when Itachi sat under another tree to watch me. The song came to an end, and I sighed. "Itachi..." I dropped to the ground and looked at the lake. "I know you didn't encourage Chihiro."

He was suddenly in front of me. "Then why?"

I smiled sadly. "I want happiness... for both of you."

He stroked my cheek with the back of his finger. "Mine isn't with her."

He was too close, and I was struggling to breathe. "It could be..."

He shook his head and put his forehead to mine. "She's not the one I fell in love with." I looked into his eyes, his feelings interrupting my thoughts. "Even when you shared a body, it was never her."

I didn't know how to respond, and he chuckled. "Breathe, Kunoichi."

I dragged in a breath. "You haven't even tried..."

He sighed. "You asked what I did when they said you were dead."

I was still struggling with his proximity and took a step back. He took my hand in response and led me toward the lake. "I did."

He sat on a flat rock and pulled me into his lap. "Well, first, I woke up after the surgery... maybe a month and a half after the attack. When I asked for you, my mother said you promised to return."

I nodded. "I trusted she would tell you."

He sighed. "I knew they were hiding something from me, so I went to Ibiki when I was released. He was... blunt about what the reports said."

I smirked. "As always."

Itachi grunted in disapproval. "After... I contemplated ending my life but decided not to long before Chihiro made sure I was watched. Sasuke and Naruto... they needed me here, but then..."

He clenched his fists. "Sasuke left to join that snake. I did what I could, but Naruto needed medical attention, so I brought him back. Soon... he left with Master Jiraiya to train. That's when Chihiro started wanting to spend more time together... I thought it was because she had lost so many she cared for."

I looked up at him. "Seems I'm not the only one oblivious to how others feel."

He shrugged. "I never truly believed you were dead." He touched the chain on his neck. "It was still warm, though I couldn't track you. Your chakra didn't disappear."

I blinked in surprise. "Then..."

He nodded. "You promised to come back... so I waited as I always have, I knew if you could, you would."

I felt another person nearby. "Do you think... she really loves you?"

He looked at me, surprised. "What?"

I shrugged. "I told you... when we almost died before going to your home to recover, that's when I knew, but we still didn't know there were two of us. Maybe..."

He shook his head. "She's curious, to say the least, but no. She's been learning to sort through her feelings and form attachments."

I watched his eyes. "She's done her best to erase me for some reason. I don't understand, except many of the choices leading to the wedding were mine. I stole her childhood and robbed her of a normal life, only for her to die and be married to Shisui."

He met my gaze. "Who made the choice about the marriage?"

I blinked. "Huh?"

He smiled softly. "I know you, Kunoichi. If it was solely left to you, there would be no Uchiha clan, let alone a marriage. I know you well enough to know that, if you could have, you would've eliminated them when you returned."

I frowned. "You make me out to be a blood thirsty murderer."

He chuckled. "Not blood thirsty... just vengeful at times."

The person who had been eavesdropping finally stepped forward. "Kunoichi..."

I looked behind Itachi. "Chihiro..."

She stood looking at us, frowning. "No matter how hard I tried..." I saw the fury in her gaze. "You're right... I tried to make it so you never existed because you only leave hurt and broken hearts in your wake."

I lowered my gaze. "You're right."

Itachi faced her. "That isn't your choice to make."

She frowned at him. "So I'm wrong? Admit it, Itachi, if not for her, you would be happier. She comes, and she goes, not thinking of her actions. We thought she was dead!"

I unraveled myself from him and stood facing Chihiro. "It's funny... at first, I thought it would be better if I was, but..." I looked at Itachi. "Even when I was in the jaws of death, the very people who I hurt time and again, they saved me."

She clenched her fists. "Izumi's right... you're just selfish."

That made me raise an eyebrow. "Izumi?"

She nodded. "She's been right about you all along. We all deserve better..."

I looked up at the stars. "If you want it so I never existed... I could do that... for you, Chihiro, I would."

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

I smiled softly. "It doesn't matter, just give me time..." I walked past her, my heartbreaking with every step. It would drain me... but I could do it...

Kurama frowned. The others would never agree.

I blinked back the tears that threatened to fall. I know...

You don't have the chakra to survive this...

I know...