Chapter 7

I walked back into my hospital room and knelt beside Hinata. "I'm back..."

She sighed, then blinked in confusion. "Wha-"

I stood and scratched my nose. "Sorry... my impulsiveness may have gotten the better of me."

She frowned. "You put me to sleep." I nodded, and she looked up at Itachi and Tsunade, both clearly displeased. "I apologize, I didn't think..."

Tsunade shook her head. "It's not your fault... and it was reckless on Kunoichi's part."

I pouted and went to the window. "Wouldn't have felt the need if I wasn't confined to these four walls."

Hinata sighed. "Kunoichi-sensei... we're only trying to protect you... especially from yourself."

I hugged my knees to my chest. "I know, I know."

Itachi came and stood in front of me. "I asked Lady Tsunade if you could be discharged if you're watched. You can't leave the village, but you will be out of this room."

I side eyed him suspiciously. "Ok... so other than being babysat... what's the catch?"

Tsunade rolled her eyes. "I need one month of monitoring you before you can leave the village."

I thought for a moment. "So, if I don't agree, I'm here maybe a week and can leave the village freely... if I do, I'm stuck here a month. It may not have registered earlier. People do not like me here."

She shook her head. "If you don't agree, then I'll need to find a way to contain you."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "I want to see you try."

She chuckled darkly. "If I was speaking to you from before the attack, I would be worried, but in this state? I'll take my chances."

I clenched my fists, knowing she was right. "Fine, babysit me all you want, just get me out of this room."

Everyone sighed in relief. "I'll get the paperwork ready."

I looked up at her. "Also, Tsunade... I want Ibiki to be my first escort." Itachi frowned at my words, and I met his gaze, daring him to say something.

Tsunade watched us, amused. "I'll let him know."

She and Hinata left the room, uncomfortable with our stare off, we heard the door close. "Problem, Uchiha?"

He didn't blink. "Why Ibiki?"

I didn't waver. "Because."

He frowned. "I got you out, Kunoichi."

I scoffed. "With babysitters and a month long sentence."

Anger flashed in his eyes. "I compromised. Maybe you should learn the meaning of the word."

I flared my nostrils. "I know the meaning. That's why I agreed rather than refusing and leaving the first chance I got."

He placed his hands on the windowsill on either side of my hips. "Why must you make things so difficult?"

I chuckled darkly. "Funny, you Uchiha enjoy using that line, don't you?"

That made him blink, clearly surprised by my words, which I regretted instantly. "That's not..."  I put my hands on top of his. "That was out of line, but it's not in my nature to bend to another's will or to enjoy the thought of constant supervision."

He leaned forward, placing his forehead against mine. "It was the only thing she would agree to. Which is better than the alternative."

I looked into his eyes, enjoying his closeness, but something was bothering me. "Itachi, what did you do after they said I was dead?"

He pulled away from me. "Why do you ask that?"

I raised my eyebrow. "I want to know."

Tsunade happened to walk in as he opened his mouth. "Okay, you can go."

Ibiki walked in after she left, and I glanced at Itachi. "We will continue this conversation later."

He nodded, and I went up to my favorite teacher. "Hey Ibiki, let's blow this joint."

He chuckled. "Whatever you say, kid." He trailed behind me as I practically skipped out of the building. "What to do, what to do?"

He shook his head. "So you don't need to talk?"

I smiled at him. "I know, strange, right? But really, all of my other babysitters can be overbearing."

He sighed. "Just don't push yourself, kid." I nodded and strolled around the village, enjoying my time out.

I stopped in front of the music shop. "I miss it sometimes, Ibiki."

He looked down at me. "What part?"

I looked at him. "When things were simpler. All I worried about was training, practicing, and getting into trouble only for one of you to pull me out."

He chuckled. "Yeah, those were the good times and didn't last nearly as long as they should have."

I turned to him. "Ibiki... I never asked how you felt about what I've done over the years..."

He blinked. "What do you mean?"

I started to walk again. "The Nine Tails... leaving the village... killing Danzo... dying... almost dying... to be honest, I never asked anyone's opinions about my choices."

He sighed. "The first time we met... you tried to stare me down. You didn't show fear. You didn't waver in your resolve. Instead, you challenged me head on. Lord Fourth and Kakashi both tried to get you to back down, and you didn't. You saw your choice through to the end. From then on, I knew when you made up your mind, there was no going back for you... even now."

I thought for a moment. "After everything I've put you through... do you regret it?"

He shook his head. "No."

I glanced at him. "I'm happy to hear it, but... I'm not sure everyone else feels the same."

He put a hand on my shoulder. "You've never hidden who you are, Kunoichi. We all mourned you months ago and were happy when you returned. We all know one day you'll leave again and will hope for your return. It's who you are. It's who we love."

I looked toward the setting sun. "Thanks, Old Man."