Chapter 27

I was still thinking of the conversation that mostly I had with Mikoto as we walked down Konoha's streets.  I was so lost in thought that I had to freeze, back up, and do a double take when we passed a small tea shop.  Itachi followed my gaze after I resumed walking a small smile on my face.

He chuckled.  "Yeah... that."

I looked up at him, surprised.  "You knew?"  Soon, I felt someone coming up behind us, but we continued.

"Itachi... Kunoichi..."  We turned, and Shisui smiled at us.  "Would you like to join us?"

I looked up at Itachi, who shrugged.  We followed him back to the shop, and he slid in beside Chihiro, who was blushing slightly.  I looked at questioningly as I sat.  "How are you, Chihiro?"

She got redder.  "Good."

I smiled.  "Great, cause I got a question."

She looked at me sheepishly.  "So... I know this is completely none of my business, and also, I'm sorry, but..."  She was holding her breath.  "That whole haircut I gave you... do you like it?"

The entire table froze until she started to giggle, then out right laugh.  "What?"

I blinked, keeping a straight face.  "I mean... I know it was impromptu... and clearly, I'm not a stylist, so someone went and fixed it, but. Does it feel lighter... is it less of a hassle?  I need details."

She caught her breath and beamed at me.  "I thought you were gonna blow up about this."

I looked confused.  "What?"  She gestured to Shisui.  "Oh, yeah.... I mean, if you're okay, I don't care.  He knows the risk he faces if he messes up."

He paled.  "All too well."

I smiled, nodding in approval.  "Back to my original question."

She shrugged and tugged at her hair.  "It was necessary... but all in all, I like it."

I looked at it, contemplating when a strand that was framing my face was pulled.  "What, Uchiha?"  I saw the smirk in his eyes as I rested my chin in my hand, Itachi began to play with the some end of my ponytail that was under the table.  "I haven't decided yet."

He turned back to Shisui, who looked more relaxed, and I continued to look at Chihiro.  "So... are you thinking of cutting yours?"

I shrugged.   "For years now."

She giggled.  "But you never do."  I sighed as we were served tea.  "It has gotten long... you love your hair, and you don't fiddle with it like most girls do."

I rolled my eyes and glared at Itachi.  "Why should I? Others do that for me."  He kept his face nuetral, but I knew he was amused.

Shisui chuckled.  "Well, it is odd."

I grabbed Itachi's hand and pulled it to the table top.  "I never noticed..."  Shisui looked up as someone approached from behind.  I watched as Chihiro focused her gaze on the table, and it piqued my interest.

"Chihiro, Shisui, it's good to see you two out."  Fugaku's voice floated past us, but I felt when he turned a disapproving gaze on me.  "Kunoichi... it's been some time."

Itachi's hand was still laced over mine, and he tightened his grip as I turned.  "I think you're missing a person, Fugaku."

He glanced at Itachi before returning his gaze to me.  "I'm happy you are alive, I-"

I turned back around, ignoring him.  "Chihiro, Shisui... can we do this another time?  I seem to have lost my appetite."  They exchanged a glance and nodded, so Itachi and I stood to leave.

His father stood in the way, and Itachi pulled me behind him.  "I would just like to talk."

I gave him a deadly glare.  "If you can not acknowledge Itachi, then you do not acknowledge me.  It's simple, really."

He grimaced.  "You never were the respectful one."  I nudged Itachi forward, and he complied. 

When we were out of the shop, I looked up at him.  "I'm sorry..."

He shook his head.  "It doesn't bother me anymore... I could never do what he had asked."

I looked back towards the shop.  "So... you realize either he reinstated you as heir or Shisui gets that."  He shrugged.  "Chihiro was acting strange...  I hope he's not giving her trouble."

He pulled me closer and wrapped an arm around my shoulders.  "We can ask later..."

I smiled up at him.  "Hn."

"Aw, look at the love birds."  We didn't pause at Ryo's taunts, and he appeared in front of us.  "No, really... me and Aya... we have questions."

I blinked at him.  "About..."

He blushed.  "Just come to the apartment, Hinata's with friends."  We glanced at each other curiously before following him.

When we entered the apartment, I looked around and shook my head.  "Nothing changed... so what's up?"

Aya came out smiling.  "Good, you found them!"

I slid onto a barstool and watched as she approached.  "I don't think I like where this is going."  There was a knock at the door, Chihiro and Shisui came through the door.  "Nope... I don't want to participate."

We watched as they sat at the table.  Chihiro smirked.  "How did you get them to agree?"

I turned to Ryo.  "Agree to what?"

He blanched.  "We didn't get that far yet."  Chihiro arched a brow and watched amused as he turned to us.  "We just wanted like a group date type thing... you know since we all..."

I sat back in my chair.  "A date thing?"

Aya giggled.  "Don't scare him, Kunoichi.  Basically, it's a date night where we all go out, then come back here and play games and whatnot."

I tilted my head.  "Why?"

She sighed.  "We've been separated for some time for one, so getting to know each other again and... well, it could get interesting.  Aren't you tired of only spending most of your free time with Itachi alone."

I shrugged.  "I've been tired of him for over a decade now, but he's still here."

She gaped.  "Really, can you cut the sarcasm down for a second?"

I looked at Itachi.  "Up to you."  He glanced at me and shrugged, but I felt his mild interest.

Shisui looked at us.  "Why do you do that?"  I blinked at him.  "You did the same thing when I asked you to join us earlier.  Never asked our opinions."

I shrugged.  "Because then, if I lose my temper, I can't take all the blame."  Shisui made an 'o' with his lips and then smiled at Chihiro.  This truly may be interesting...