Chapter 40

I glanced around and took to the roof tops, smiling when Kisame and Itachi followed.  Kisame caught up.  "Never knew you to run from a fight."

I shook my head.  "They care nothing for collateral damage... look, they're following."  He glanced behind us and smiled.  When we were outside the village, we turned to face our pursuers.  I eyed Keiji.  "Really?  Are you that desperate?"

He chuckled.  "I do enjoy a chase."

I crossed my arms.  "Not interested."  Itachi...

He smirked.  "Playing hard to get.  I like it."  Hn.

I sighed.  "So... what's this scroll that you are so interested in?"  I'm close to my limit, but I do want to know...  He took a fighting stance as they moved closer.

Keiji became serious.  "So, you're looking for it too."  Much better...

I shook my head, entering his mind.  "Just want to know what it is... may be of interest."  Ready?

He started running towards us.  Got it...  leave two for Kisame...  "I was just trying to have a good time. It seems we have to kill you now."

I smirked.  "You make it sound so easy..."  Kisame charged, running past Keiji to the others.  I stayed back, allowing Itachi to take him.  I was impressed and slightly distracted as I felt an enemy behind me.  I whirled and faced her.  "I was really trying to avoid this..."

She struck out, and I flipped back.  As she charged, I concentrated chakra in my hands and waited.  When she was within range, I spun, hitting her with my chakra.  She looked dumbfounded, scowled, and disappeared.  I sighed, closing my eyes.  "Eight trigrams..."

When she resurfaced, my Byuakugan was activated, and I struck.  "Eight palms... sixteen palms..."  I hit all her chakra points, and she crumpled to the ground.  I felt dizzy and crouched.  "That's not good."

I looked up, and Keiji was dead. It seemed he fell on his own sword, and Kisame was still toying with the others.  Itachi was off to the side, waiting to assist.  The woman moaned as she struggled to her feet as I glowered at her.  "Really?  Can you just stay down?"

She grimaced and tried to perform a jutsu, astonished when it failed.  "Wha-"

Itachi was at my side, and I smiled up at him.  "A present for Pein... seems she still has some fight in her, though."

Itachi nodded and turned his Sharingan on her.  She stiffened before falling to the ground.  Kisame finally finished with the other two and came over.  "For Pein?"  I nodded and stood. It felt like the world shifted.  I felt a large hand on my head, steadying me.  "You've done enough, brat."

He went to get the girl, and Itachi turned, back facing me.  I scowled.  "I can walk, Uchiha."

He chuckled.  "This way or over my shoulder... your choice."

I sighed and climbed on.  "Thanks, I guess."

Kisame smirked.  "Look at you being carried like the child-sized adult you are."

I narrowed my eyes at him.  "Can it, Sharky."  Kisame laughed but said nothing more.  By morning, we were nearing the docks, me and Kisame keeping up the banter.  We finally returned to the village, it was raining and I felt the tension in the air.

Before the boat docked, a paper angel flew down, and I snatched it.  "Fuck..."  Itachi and Kisame stiffened, but waited to get off to turn to me.  "Kisame, deliver the girl to Pein... Itachi, lets go to the apartment."

Fortunately, both started in the same direction.  I dropped off of Itachi's back and Kisame turned to face me when it was time to part ways.  "See you la-"

"Kisame!  Tobi sees you!"

I froze, but Kisame turned, blocking me from view.  "Tobi... what're you doing here?"

"Tobi and Deidera wanted to see Pein-sama!"  I grabbed Itachi's hand, ready to teleport.  "OOOOOO.... look, Deidera!  The girl I told you about!"

Kisame stiffened, and Itachi moved in front of me.  "Tobi... I think it's time you go..."

He started flaying and crying fake tears.  "But Tobi missed Lady Kunoichi!  She's not afraid of me!  Who else is with you, Kisame?"

I turned to walk in another direction.  "See you around, Kisame..."

I went in the opposite direction of the apartment but was stopped as hands waved wildly in front of me.  "Nooo! Stay and play with Tobi!"

I grit my teeth.  "Tobi... I suggest you move."

I felt the smirk under his mask.  "Are you angry with me!  Ple-"

"Tobi!"  Madara froze from reaching for my hand, feigning fear at the sound of Pein's voice.  "Leave her alone and go on your mission."

I looked past him at what seemed to be his partner, Deidera.  "How you can stand him is beyond me..."

I started walking again.  "Wait!"  I looked back at him.  "What's your name?"

I tilted my head.  "Kunoichi... it was nice to meet you, Deidera."  I felt him watching as we left, finally away from them.  "This is unfortunate..."

Itachi looked down at me.  "Why?"

I looked up at him.   "Seems he has someone watching my movements... I'll need to find out who."  We went to a tea house to wait, and finally, the trio came.  "You seem displeased, Pein."

He nodded.  "Seems Deidera now had questions about you... it'll only make him worse."

I tilted my head.  "What about me?"

Pein shook his head.  "Just forget it."

I looked out at the rain.  "Are they gone?"

"On a ferry now."

"I'm sorry to have brought you trouble."

Konan took my hand.  "It's not your fault."

Kisame was frowning.  "No, it's not, but it's no coincidence he was here..."  Itachi put a hand on my lap.  You need to rest...

I nodded.  "We won't be here much longer, so we'll see."  I know...