Chapter 8

I walked into Minato's house and was mildly disappointed that no one was there.  "I guess..."  I was going to my room but stopped in front of Naruto's.  I began to reminisce on the times I had with them.  "I kinda miss their arguing now."

When I walked into the room I was headed for, I blinked.  What used to be dark blue walls were now a pastel pink and wooden furniture now white.  "Wow..."

I started to go through clothes, but all were too big.  I backed away from the dresser, shocked.  Uh... I don't think I live here anymore... 

Kurama looked at me sadly.  They did spend almost half a year believing you were dead...

I took a deep breath.  Maybe my stuff is elsewhere...  I began to look through the house but found nothing.  I stopped when a picture caught my eye and turned.  It was the boys with Itachi and Chihiro.  I picked it up and examined the picture, Naruto was grinning wildly, while Sasuke was brooding both in the foreground.  Itachi looked passive, but Chihiro... she was wrapped around his arm, smiling, one hand forming a peace sign in the background.  Why is she blushing?

I set the picture back in its place, now feeling suffocated in my childhood home.  I abandoned my search and walked out of the house. Remembering I said I wouldn't leave the village, I redirected my steps.  I came back to the old music shop and let myself in.  I froze when I heard their voices.

"Chihiro, this is inappropriate."

"Why?  Because she's back?  We're just hanging out."

I heard movement.  "We've never met here.  You've been nowhere near here since..."

"Since we thought she was dead.  How would you know that?"  She was met with silence.  "So... this is where you were when we couldn't find you."

I heard him sigh.  "You said you wanted to talk."

Her voice began to shift.  "Yes, I was just wondering why you're different with her?  We were the same person at one point, after all."

I could hear his discomfort.  "What do you mean?"

"I mean, you're cold towards me.  The same stoic expression you use with everyone else, you use with me, but with her..."  I felt him move suddenly.  "See, I can't even get close."

"What do you want, Chihiro?"

She sighed.  "I want you to open up to me too.  Even when we're together, you barely speak. It's as though I lost my best friend when she left my body."  Again, he was silent.  "Have you two even kissed yet?  I can't imagine you've done much more if you have."

"That's none of your business."

"Wh-" There was a knock at the door, and I went to open it.  Ibiki stood in the threshold, and I breezed past him.  "Ibiki-sensei..."

I ran.  I ran as fast as my legs would carry me.  Whatever I said in the hospital no longer mattered, I needed to go and fast.  I cursed as I began tire to as I reached the waterfall.  I paused briefly and looked at Madara and the First Hokage on opposite ends.

You realize that he was denying her...

You realize, essentially, she was my other half for most of my life...  I started walking again.  Izumi was right... maybe I should have stayed dead this time...

Where will you go?

Not far... just not in that village...  Kurama was watching me warily but said nothing as I crossed the bridge.  I went to a nearby cave and ducked in.  Too bad I can't exactly form a strong barrier...  I weaved the hand signs and placed one anyway.

I removed the chain from around my waist, then the one on my wrist.  What will you do?

I sat in the center of the cave, cross-legged, closed my eyes, and connected my fingertips.  I've been sitting idly long enough... it's time to train...

I meditated, testing and retesting my chakra.  It was exhausting, but I began to retrain the flow to bypass the wreckage I had caused.  I took short breaks, finding water when it was necessary, before starting again.  By the time morning came, I was tired but had progressed.

The sun was near its peak when I emerged from the cave.  I walked back to the village, past the guards, to the Hokage's office.  It seemed everyone was there, and all looked at me in shock when I opened the door.

I looked at their faces.  "Forming a search party? No need."

Tsunade slammed her hand on her desk as she stood, breaking it in half.  "Where have you been?"

I shrugged.  "Here and there.  Are you assessing me today, or can I go?"

She was grinding her teeth.  "We had an agreement..."

I gazed at her steadily.  "I'm here for a month, but we can lose the babysitter.  I'll come here every day, so you can do what you need and I will go to do my own thing."

Aya, Hinata, and Ryo exchanged knowing glances.  Tsunade pushed through the others and stood over me.  "Don't make me confine you, Kunoichi."

I smirked.  "You could try, but I can guarantee... you won't keep me for long."

She lost it and swung, but I caught her fist in my hand before she made contact.  The room was stunned.  "How?"

I ignored the pain it caused and stared her in the eye, conveying how serious I was.  "Agree to these terms... or you don't have to worry about seeing me after today."

She blinked.  "Fine... report here every day, without fail."

I nodded.  "As you wish..."  I turned and left, fighting the urge to rub my arm.

The group seemed to recover, and Minato spoke.  "What just happened?"

It was Ryo who spoke.   "I think... you are all about to find out who she is outside this village."  That went well...