Chapter 22

When we returned, I felt the tension in the air before entering the house. "Wonder what happened now." Chihiro shrugged, and we walked in.

"Stay away from her. This is all your fault!" I was pushed aside roughly, but Itachi caught me, glaring at none other than Izumi. She looked Chihiro over, who looked very uncomfortable. "Are you okay?"

Chihiro put her hands on Izumi's shoulders. "I'm fine, but you had no reason to push Kunoichi."

She glared at me. "If not for her, this never would've happened."

Chihiro frowned. "Izumi, stop."

She looked at her in disbelief. "She manipulated you... again? She's toxic, can't you see that?"

Chihiro removed her hands and gestured to the door. "This is her home... you will either respect that or go."

Izumi turned to me. "What did you do?"

I smirked. "I didn't kill you when you put your hands on me... that's true character growth right there." Itachi poked my forehead, and I scowled at him, rubbing it. "What?"

Chihiro shook her head, smiling. "Not everyone finds your humor funny."

I shrugged. "I find it quite entertaining, thanks." The collective sighs in the room made me roll my eyes.

Izumi approached. "Why are you still here anyway? Don't you usually disappear by now?"

Itachi stepped between us. "That's enough."

I pulled his sleeve. "Really? I won't fight her."

He glanced back at me, concern in his eyes. "Chihiro's right. If she can't be respectful, she can go." I rolled my eyes and turned away from him. "Keep that up, and they'll roll out of your head."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Wouldn't that be a sight to see." He chuckled and shook his head.

Izumi stepped back. "Why? Why do you all put up with that?"

Minato stood and put himself between us. "She's Kunouchi, who she has always been, and we love her."

I put a hand to my chest dramatically. "Aw... thank you, Old Man." I dropped the dramatics. "However, you owe her no explanation."

She was turning red. "He's Lord Fourth."

I smirked at her. "And an old man... if the shoe fits..."

She began to tremble. "I don't know how they can stand your disrespect or your bloodthirsty ways." I shrugged and looked out the window. I'm no longer entertained...

Itachi grabbed my hand, and I sighed. "Scared I'll leave, Uchiha?" He said nothing and guided me to the couch. I grabbed a book on the way and pretended to look at it when we sat.

Izumi watched us. "I don't understand."

Chihiro smiled at us. "She does have this habit of wandering off when she gets bored. We can't have her getting into trouble."

I positioned myself so my legs were hanging off the arm rest, and my back was resting on Itachi, who, much to my amusement, was also reading. I was facing away from Izumi and her drama. "Yup, that's me, their little trouble maker." Itachi pulled a curl, and I pouted into my book.

"Izumi... you've got it wrong." Chihiro's voice was amused. "She didn't manipulate any of us. She just... you would have to get to know her to understand."

I heard Aya shift. "She doesn't make us stay around her... that's our choice."

Izumi heaved a sigh. "But why?"

Itachi was the one who responded. "Because she just is... nothing tricky about it."

I looked up at him. "Come on, Uchiha, gotta make it convincing. I add the razzle dazzle that makes your life interesting." He kissed my forehead, and I turned away blushing. "No fair."

"You think too highly of yourself."

I shrugged. "I know I'm awesome with... a few drawbacks." Itachi sighed and lazily put a hand over my mouth. I frowned and crossed my arms. Really...

You may find this amusing, but I just want her to go.

"Yeah, like constantly breaking people's hearts and crushing their dreams."

Itachi tightened his hold, and I bit down hard. He didn't remove his hand, and we began to struggle. He playfully poked at my sides as I tried to pull his hand away. I couldn't help but laugh as we both tumbled to the floor.

I looked up, and everyone was watching in amusement. Ryo shook his head. "Get a room, you two." I smirked and lounged at him. "Hey!"

I tickled his sides and was quickly pulled off by Minato, who held my hands behind my back. "Is now really the time?"

I smiled at Chihiro, who was behind him instantly, tickling him. "Now's exactly the time." She laughed as I was dropped and ungracefully fell to the floor. It was on boys against girls, and no one was getting the upper hand.

I had Minato in a headlock and looked at Izumi devilishly. "You can join, you know..."

She looked shocked at my invitation and averted her gaze. I was lifted from behind and let go of Minato. "You bit me." I was thrown on the couch and tickled.

I tried to slap Itachi's hands away. "You... deserved... it!" That only added fuel to his fire, so I rolled and landed on top of him on the floor. Pinning his hands, I kissed his cheek, making him freeze. "Equally as effective cause you're not ticklish."

He scowled playfully, and I laughed as I ran to the kitchen. I glanced over my shoulder as he followed. "Come... let's cook for them."

He leaned in the doorway. "Finished play fighting?"

I smirked. "I am aware of my limit, Itachi. Trying to be on my best behavior, remember?"

He nodded and began to cut up the ingredients I pulled out. "Good." I rolled my eyes, and we set to work in silence. I was mildly aware we were being watched and smiled at Izumi. "Enjoying the show?"

She blushed and averted her gaze. "I may be beginning to understand now, but I still don't like it."

I shrugged. "I'm not everyone's cup of tea, Izumi... however, I don't try to be."

She frowned and eyed Itachi. "He's different... around you."

I looked at him, now pretending to ignore us, stoic expression in place. "That... is something even I can't begin to understand. Just know so long as you choose to be Chihiro's friend, I don't expect you to change... I'd rather you be honest about how you feel."

She looked back into the now quiet living room. "She's different from you."

I nodded. "We are, for the most part, polar opposites." She nodded and went to join the others. Itachi embraced me from behind as I turned on the stove. "What, Uchiha?"

He chuckled. "Nothing." I rolled my eyes, smiling. Hopefully, now, I can have peace... if only for a little while...