Chapter 3

The room was dark when I opened my eyes.  I felt a presence beside me and looked over, Minato was sleeping in the chair next to me.  How'd he get past Tsunade...

I got up and placed my blanket over him. He shifted slightly but didn't awaken.  I silently opened the window and went to the top of the Hokage heads.  I looked over the village, remembering the times I had there.  Ibiki... you're hiding something from me... I know it's for the best...

I saw the light from my hospital room flip on and sighed.  Hmmm, they'll be looking for me...  I waited until I saw Minato jump through the window, and several others followed.  I'm not quite ready to return.  I rose and thought of where to go.

I leisurely walked out of the village, the guards were sleeping, to which I was grateful and to the waterfall, but was soon joined.  How unfortunate...  "Does Pein have you watching me, Zetsu?"

He emerged from the ground.  "This... is not safe."

I looked at him and nodded.  "I'm aware."  They sighed.  "Let him know I'm considering treatment.  That should ease his worries for a bit."  He remained where he was, and I sighed.  "Fine... I'll go back."

I began to walk toward the village and noticed the guards were gone.  I thought little of it as I entered the hospital and approached my room.  I stood behind the corner when I heard voices.  "I should be helping with the search."  My heart stopped when I heard his voice, and I willed it to behave.

Tsunade sighed.  "Her condition... it's just not safe right now."

"Why not? What aren't you telling me?"  He sounded angry and concerned.  Itachi...

"Itachi, give us time."  I closed my eyes, steadying my breathing and my heartbeat.  I was angered, but part of me understood.  "Go home... we'll update you when she is found."

I heard them move and rounded the corner.  "That won't be necessary... I'm here."

They looked up, shocked until Tsunade frowned.  "You're supposed to be resting."

I shrugged.  "I never kicked my childish habit of wandering, it would seem.  How unfortunate..."

I kept my gaze on Tsunade, who was becoming more angry as we spoke.  "Back in bed... now."

I frowned at her.  "I'm not some child you can order around, I'm completely aware of my condition." I turned my attention to Itachi.  "It would seem they've been keeping you away."

His face was neutral, but I could see the undercurrent of emotions in his eyes.  "They said..."

I nodded.  "I'll tell you what they won't, my lungs and heart... they're barely hanging on as it would seem."  As he began to approach my heart started to race, I clutched my chest and cursed softly.  "Seems they're also right about maintaining a distance."

He stopped.  "How?"

I smiled sadly.  "My anger got the best of me."  He looked at me dismayed as I turned back to Tsunade.  "I'll do what you find to be necessary. However, I won't promise to sit idly the entire time."

She frowned.  "You say it as though you were considering otherwise."

I nodded.  "I was."

She looked shocked.  "You're not serious."  I simply met her gaze, and she frowned.  "Many people would be upset if you died." 

I felt Itachi's anger at my words, but he said nothing.  I looked at him and smiled.  "I'm happy that you're alive Itachi, it seems I have more to live for than I imagined."  He blinked as I returned to my room, Tsunade close behind.  I turned and smiled at her.  "I've wandered enough... I'll rest now."

She threw a glance over her shoulder before closing the door.  "Why would you even consider refusing treatment?"

I sat in the windowsill, watching the people still searching below.  "Coming here, I had one true goal, and it was not to seek medical help.  I came to eliminate the Uchiha for what they did that day.  If I died in the process... it mattered little to me."

She gasped.  "You're admitting to attacking the village?"

I shook my head.  "Just that clan, if Itachi had died..."  I heaved a sigh, fighting the lump in my throat.  "They stood by idly as he was attacked.  I went to the Sound first because I knew I couldn't face the whole clan in my state, I always planned to return to finish the job."

She lowered her gaze.  "So if Itachi was dead..."

I shrugged.  "It doesn't matter now, does it?"

She looked at the door, I knew Itachi was still looming outside, listening.  "I wouldn't recommend him being here."

I smiled softly and looked back out the window.  "That's never stopped him before.  I feel Minato was here to give him peace of mind.  You should call off the search. They're starting to look frantic down there."

She frowned and opened the door.  "Ten minutes and be careful."

I pulled my knees to my chest as he entered, watching his reflection through the glass.  "How have you been?"

He closed the door softly, his piercing red eyes watching me.  "Alive... they saw to that."

I chuckled.  "Seems they won't let us die so easily."

He was beside me instantly.  "Why would you do this?"

I sighed.  "So Tsunade took the risk, I see.  I imagine it may have been the only way to keep you in the land of the living."

He clenched his fist, barely containing his rage.  "You left..."

I met his eyes in the glass.  "And as promised, I returned."  The muscles in his jaw were tight, and I sighed.  "You were all, but dead, Itachi.  I couldn't just sit and wait for you to die, so... I did what I did best.  Everyone said it was foolish, but I didn't listen to reason.  However, it was not the Sound Village that got me in this condition... it was me."

I saw confusion in his eyes and turned to face him.  "Yes, they attacked my body, even my chakra network, but that's not what caused the worst of the damage."  I watched his eyes as they shifted from rage to confusion, returning to their smooth black color.  "It was me... my chakra... my rage.  The sheer force of it ripped me apart from the inside out."

He searched my eyes and saw it was the truth.  "How?"

I looked at my hands, gloved for my protection.  "Remember before the wedding, Chihiro's body was damaged from my chakra?"  He nodded.  "This was much the same... too much chakra released in an untrained body."

He grabbed my hands.  "Breathe, Kunoichi."  I met his gaze, but he was too close. My heart began to race.  "Breathe."

I dragged in a breath and turned away from him, pulling my hands away.  He sighed in relief.  "I won't hurt you."

I placed my forehead on the cool glass and sighed in relief, closing my eyes.  "I know."

I heard a chair move and felt his warmth at my side.  "You made me a promise, though you said you wouldn't stop doing reckless things. You said you wouldn't die from them..."

I sighed again.  "None of that mattered if you were dead."

His voice was laced with pain.  "Would life be so bad if I was dead?"

I shrugged.  "I never intended to find out."  I heard the rustling of pages, and we fell into a comfortable silence.  Seems Tsunade forgot about the ten minute thing...